German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Brady to Bordelad this morning. We wetn very early to avoid (as Blackgsd and siren says) intruders.
As we are walking along I spot this little ankle bitter or snack come running towards us. I made brady sit and told the little thing to stay. Next thing you know the owner comes running apologizing.
The snack starts going towards Brady and Brady goes off.

I was so mad if my dog has to be on a leash why does this idiot feel his snack is above it????

I should have let Brady bit him

·
Registered
431 Posts
I hate when people call small dogs "snacks," and "ankle biters." As an owner of a small dog, all I can say is blame the owner not the dog. My dog is very well behaved and has received the training that all dogs require, regardless of size.

But yes, off leash dogs are EXTREMELY irritating. There are few dogs I've met around here that have the training to be trusted off leash, but everyone seems to think it's ok to let them run around and charge up to other dogs. Then they stand there and make kissy noises instead of getting their dog away from mine. But I don't blame the dog.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have had small, medium and large dogs, they are all well behaved and the small one, a shihtzu, was call the worst, "rat dog". he gave us 14 wonderful years. mine cannot be off leash out doors, except in the fenced yard, they would just have the nose to the ground and gone, especially marley. you never blame the dog, its the owner. your pup is very cute, looks good for 7

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Bad bad owner. I have a special phrase for that exact situation: 'Come get your dog NOW. I am NOT paying your vet bill!' Morgan isn't aggressive to other dogs unless they bite first, then all bets are off -she's the Queen of Mean. She always looks amused when little dogs come on like Cujo but maybe the next dog won't be and the owner should learn some sense!

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
uhh, no, you shouldn't have let Brady bite him. That would louse up your life and your dog's life big time.

Yes, off-lead dogs can be a problem when yours is/are on lead. I've had a lot of frustration with them challenging mine when I'm walking in the neighborhood. In parks, I don't mind as much as I figure I can let mine loose too. Mine don't have issues off lead.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: doxseeI hate when people call small dogs "snacks," and "ankle biters." As an owner of a small dog, all I can say is blame the owner not the dog. My dog is very well behaved and has received the training that all dogs require, regardless of size.

But yes, off leash dogs are EXTREMELY irritating. There are few dogs I've met around here that have the training to be trusted off leash, but everyone seems to think it's ok to let them run around and charge up to other dogs. Then they stand there and make kissy noises instead of getting their dog away from mine. But I don't blame the dog.
I didn't mean to offend anyone calling the dog names I was p'd off
not all little dogs are bad!!! unfortunately I had to stop the dog while the owner was doing whatever

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I'm glad he didn't bite the wee pain in the butt.....

Too bad that there wasn't a cop around to give the guy a nice FAT ticket for having his dog off leash..........<span style="color: #6600CC">NO ONE is ABOVE </span><span style="color: #FF0000">A N Y</span> law.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I would not want my dog to bite another even if it did run up into us.

However, the way it ought to be is that if there is a leash law and one dog is on a leash and connected to their owner and the other dog is free, then the free dog's owner should pay any vet bills that occur due to any situation that arises. If the free dog is dead and the other needs a vet visit, the dead dog's owner should pay the vet bill for the leashed dog.

When your dog is leashed to you, then he cannot run away in the case of danger. He does not see dogs as big or small. He sees dogs as a threat or not a threat dependent on his confidence level and the other dog's body language. The guy with the leash is following the law. The guy with the loose dog is breaking the law. The fault is with the guy with the yorkie or cocker or insert your favorite breed. That your dog was big enough to do serious damage is not your fault.

However, in the same situation, I will hold my dog back, shout at, kick, do whatever it takes to keep my animal from needing to bite another dog.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I tend to find when the little guys approach my leased GSD, even while barking, if I let them settle they get along fine.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Max has been trained to ignore the "little ones", although I call then "interactive squeaky toys", but I always watch his body language and you can tell what hes up to when another dogs approaches on or off leash, ears forward, tail out, hes gonna be up to no good, so he gets a "NO" command right away and then hes back to a somewhat relaxed posture

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: LadyHawkI'm glad he didn't bite the wee pain in the butt.....

Too bad that there wasn't a cop around to give the guy a nice FAT ticket for having his dog off leash..........<span style="color: #6600CC">NO ONE is ABOVE </span><span style="color: #FF0000">A N Y</span> law.
No I did not let Brady bite the little one, I was moving to go in front of B-boy so if the little one did come closer I could move it out of the way. I thin Brady wasa just letting it know whos in charge!!!

Normally I would pat little one and Brady is fine but I was a little miffed. I go to the park to enjoy Brady doing his thing not to be bothered by ignorant people and their pets. This isn't the forst episond, Last week another dog got away from its owner and B and I got introduced fast

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I guess it depends on the laws in your area, here if a bite by leashed dog had accured, it would have been unleashed dogs fault.

I personally think it should be that way, heh.

I try to give yippy dogs the benifit of the doubt if I can, lol, I have one! If the owner if obvisouly trying to get some sort of control over their dog, then im more nicer than I am if they dont care. Then, it usually envolves choice words....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts