German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family went camping this weekend and we brought one of the dogs, Oskar, along with us. The campsite is in the Smoky Mountains National Park, and it is just great for going on walks. Well, I was going for a stroll with my 2 girls (ages 2 and 6) and as we were walking along, a couple with a little boy was walking in our direction. The man took one look at Oskar and then proceeded to snatch his child up and make a wide path around us. He looked at us with disgust, as if he were saying "how dare you bring that viscious animal to a place like this!!" He and the wife muttered something, but they were East Indian, so I have no idea what they said. So ridiculous!!
I was walking him ALONG with my 2 small children, and he was even carrying his stuffed pheasant in his mouth, not growling and snarling!! (it was impossibly cute, he carried that thing the whole time every time we walked!) He showed no signs of aggression or even interest in them! (He did, however, growl and snarl a bit at some...but that will be in another post! he is not aggressive or anything or a danger to people, but if someone approached him without me saying "go see," he did growl)

I realize some people are afraid of dogs or may have had a bad experience at some point....but I saw them walk by another dog (German short hair pointer) and they didn't even flinch!

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to complain to people who know how annoying this can be!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I AGREE!

We had Jake at Mackinaw City a couple weekends ago. People would not walk on the same side of the street as us. If we walked by a store the customer's would not walk out until we passed.

Ya know what I say . . their loss!

It's too bad there isn't some sort of GSD awareness group, people that could go around and demonstrate what awesome dog's they are. I know Jake and I would volunteer!

·
Registered
397 Posts
There are idoits everywhere!! My neighbor finally confessed she was terrified of my Dane/lab mix -he died 1/2009-. He was the most laid back goofy dog that ever existed. Whne I asked her why-"because he was so big" . Duh-she ought to be afraid of my redbone hound- she is the protective one!!!!

I am just glad your dog was well behaved around them-so he did not "contribute to their fear.

·
Registered
775 Posts
That's so unfortunate...and it is their loss!

I have noticed that children seem to be wary of lex more than adults. Adults will come up to her and ask if they can pet her, but kids kind of look twice, and even then seem hesitant about coming near her. I think maybe it's because she doesn't look like a typical 10 week old pup...looks more like a mini GSD, so maybe the kids don't realize she's a puppy? lol

The day I took her to her first vet appt. with me, the vet tech, or whatever she was, said to my little 8 week old puppy, "I hope you're a nice shepherd, we don't like those nasty mean ones". I looked around the building and saw nothing but posters of labs
The vet comes highly recommended from friends and my breeder, so I'm going to ignore this one "uneducated" assistant.

So, if this is what I have to look forward to for many years to come, I better get thicker skin!

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I've found just the opposite with kids. They always want to pet Jax and the adults pull them away. I have pretty good experiences with Jax and ppl. When she sniffs someone shying away from her I just say "No. Leave It. Not everyone wants to pet you" and that seems to relax them.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have been use to this ever since our 12 year old female Shepherd was a puppy.

It's unfortunate but the Shepherd breed has been deemed "dangerous", it's up to us, the owners of these magestic dogs to be the spokespersons for them and to raise well rounded, sweet dogs to show the world that they are not "dangerous" and can be sweet, loving, kind, large dogs.

With Stark, I am trying to show everyone I meet what a happy, funny, smart puppy he is. I let everyone who is interested come over and meet him and also try to explain a little about the breed, their tempermant and other little tidbits that I find will work in the conversations.

I use to get mad and pissy when people acted that way, not I try to educate, share my passion for the breed with others hoping to break the sterotype, one person at a time.

It's nice to have a place like this, with other GSD owners to share our fustrations though!

We understand and feel for you!!!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Well, until I read that last line about the GSP, I was going to go with cultural differences.

We have two Indian families on my street. The boy I talk with says that in India the dogs run wild and are dangerous, which is why they avoid my dogs when on walks.

Oh, well.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Our two are working hards to be ambassadors for the breed in our neighborhood. We have several small children who come running to pet them when we pass their. We make sure the first time any kids meet the dogs that they do so properly (which the parents are always appreciative of) but the kids then love to come up and greet them, and the dogs love it too. We do see people crossing the street, etc, but we walk a lot so we are well known in the neighborhood, even if only by sight with several people.

It would be a wonderful world if everyone understood what these fine animals were really about, but it would also be a wonderful world if there weren't the bad examples of owners who don't handle themselves and their dogs the right way which feeds some of the bad impressions. We just have to keep on putting the positive out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts