German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have crazy drivers in my neighborhood. The speed limit is 15, there's speed bumps and stop signs - people fly over the speed bumps and don't even slow down for the stop signs and go at least 40 through here. (Okay, I might be exaggerating on the speed, but you get my point).

Today I poked my head out to see if I left my laptop cord on the little table on our front porch. I'm infamous for leaving things on the table when I take Ozzy out front to potty. Aiden bolted between my legs and Ozzy was right next to him, trying to chew on his ears.

I yell for Ozzy. I don't even try yelling for Aiden, because that's like talking to a wall. They run out in the street. Then all I saw was a huge red truck. That didn't stop at the stop sign on the corner. I don't see my dogs anymore. He stopped. After I thought my dogs were splattered on the road.

I have never ran so fast in my life. I saw them again, this time on the other side of the street, still running. I called Ozzy, to no avail. He's too preoccupied trying to chew off Aiden's ears. Well no wonder the poor fella's deaf! Before I even knew it, they're on the other side of the park, so I just run inside and grab my keys to chase 'em down by car. I come back outside and see that they're waaaay on the other side now.

I go get them, trying not to drive like a crazy lady. What if someone's kid got loose? Wouldn't want to hit 'em. It took me 30 seconds to get to them, and when I pulled up, Ozzy was like, "Hi, Mommy! I love you and I missed you soooo much!" Aiden was like, "Hi, Doom! :help: " Then I stuck 'em in the car and we went home and I tried to keep myself from having a heart attack.

I'm seriously thinking about putting a cross by that stop sign so people might look at it and think. :mad:

And next time I'll be more careful about Aiden running out the door. Or I might just kick him in the head before he can get out the door. Beats him getting hit by a car. (I'm just kidding - I wouldn't kick him in the head). But I will be more careful.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
yup stupid drivers. totally understand that one. Speed limit through housing is 20, no more than 25 and the speed bumps are damaging even to SUVs that can take the hit but everyone still does 40 going through. I may not like the kids down the street but i dont want to be around when one of them gets splattered either. i always hold my breath when i hear someone speeding down the street because they ALWAYS squeal tires slowing down at the speed bumps and once over them, they floor it again. I'm waiting for the tire squeal and thud thats bound to happen one of these days.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Have you tried teaching the dogs to "Wait" at the door before they go out? It can be a tough one to teach but as you can see, a very useful command.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried a while back, but it did no good since after the 'new' wore out with Mom, she stopped enforcing it. She thought it was cool at first that he listened and did a command, but when the coolness wore out, back to bolting out the door....

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I tried a while back, but it did no good since after the 'new' wore out with Mom, she stopped enforcing it. She thought it was cool at first that he listened and did a command, but when the coolness wore out, back to bolting out the door....
I've got one worse then that. We taught Hondo to wait in the kitchen because he crowds at the door in the mud room. That worked great until Hubby found out that if he lets Hondo bump the door with his nose, he hits the handle as well and opens the door. Hubby thinks this is a great trick, Hondo opening the door for him. Now I've got to keep the door locked.

Hubby also taught one of the horses to swing the gate open for him once it's unlatched. Fine and dandy unless you are standing on the wrong side of the gate and it knocks the heck out of you!

I should have taught Hubby to wait in the kitchen.....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've got one worse then that. We taught Hondo to wait in the kitchen because he crowds at the door in the mud room. That worked great until Hubby found out that if he lets Hondo bump the door with his nose, he hits the handle as well and opens the door. Hubby thinks this is a great trick, Hondo opening the door for him. Now I've got to keep the door locked.

Hubby also taught one of the horses to swing the gate open for him once it's unlatched. Fine and dandy unless you are standing on the wrong side of the gate and it knocks the heck out of you!

I should have taught Hubby to wait in the kitchen.....

haha.... so true....

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, my bf taught Ozzy to jump when the treat is over his head. So now when he's laying down and I put the treat over his head to help him into sit, instead of sitting, he'll jump. URG. Gotta love 'em.... But now he does jump and hit off of me and spin. I got it on video, it's kinda cool. LOL

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I had an old man hit me in the parking lot the other day :mad: I was backing out after I had looked to make sure no one was coming. I'm all the way out I put my car in drive, I was just about to go when this old man starts backing out. I honked at him nope still coming, so I honk at him again he keeps coming!! so I laid on the horn and he keeps coming!!!! He hits the side of my car then has the decency to look then shrugs and pulls back in. No sign that he saw me, no sorry nothing. I left went home and checked my car he's so lucky there wasn't a mark on my car. Dodge was in the car with this weird look on his face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts