German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old girl has the following symptoms:

- when her head is down resting, I can hear her breathe...kind of like a human with a stuffy nose

- when she ate breakfast this morning she kind of made snorty noises like she has snot in her nose'

When her head is up panting or something I don't hear anything unusual---seems like nose vs lungs making the noise.

She is otherwise bright and happy and wants to play and eat. I have not temped her but I doubt she has a fever. I think I'll call my vet when they open but was wondering if this rings a bell with anybody. She has never done this before. Now that I think of it I believe I have heard some noise while her head is down prior to this but I sort of just thought well she is turning into an old lady and making old lady noises.

She does have some environmental allergies so it could be that...but she has never had this symptom before. Right now I am leaning toward trying to see if the vet can just listen to her lungs real quick today and be sure there's nothing going on in her lungs. Seems like if there were she wouldn't be her normal self but....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't know, but I will bump the thread. :)

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, but I will bump the thread. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks... i wonder if she got some of her food up her nose this morning. She eats honest kitchen so like mushy oatmeal. About 30 mins after breakfast it all stopped and has not happened since. ???

couldn't have been too serious if it just miraculously went away ?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I would hope so. Did you look in her nose to check if you could see anything? Maybe it was just the food and you don't need to head to the vet.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Check up in her nose with a flashlight. Rusty was acting weird before, I'm surprised not pawing at his nose, and I found 3 super long pine needles up there. Luckily I was able to pull them out, actually when I started to look he sneezed which helped.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check up in her nose with a flashlight. Rusty was acting weird before, I'm surprised not pawing at his nose, and I found 3 super long pine needles up there. Luckily I was able to pull them out, actually when I started to look he sneezed which helped.
crazy! ok. nose exam pending

·
Registered
267 Posts
Same thing happened to my old girl. We found cheatgrass up her nose!

What was the result of op's nose exam? Has your dog had any more problems? Hope all is well.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

There was nothing we could see in her nose. She did this a bit on Friday morning and then not again until Sunday morning. She was clearly not in major distress so I did not page the vet but I took her in this morning.

He is not sure what the matter is. Lungs fibe, lymph nodes fine. he did not run blood work because she just had it done pretty recently.

He could not see anything either. He flushed her nasal passage with saline and told me to do that daily for a few days and see if it makes a difference

He said there is some sort of partial paralysis of the throat (not the word he used I can't remember) that sometimes happens in old dogs causing mucus buildup in the nose.

Or, it could be allergies. So basically for now we are experimenting to see if this helps for now. She did it again this morning but now seems totally fine.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Do you live in a area with those horrid foxtails?

I remember someone who owned a Corgi having issues with the nose, they also looked up in the nose, even the vet, nothing. The problem continued, they then put her under so they could really look. A darn fox tail was up there.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you live in a area with those horrid foxtails?

I remember someone who owned a Corgi having issues with the nose, they also looked up in the nose, even the vet, nothing. The problem continued, they then put her under so they could really look. A darn fox tail was up there.
No...not foxtail country. He did mention we could knock her out and do a nasal scope if we have to. She was *just* under anesthesia a month ago and she is old so neither of us in a big hurry to do that

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
*phew! Glad to hear no foxtails in your area.

Yeah, I would not want my dog to go under anesthesia unless it was absolutely necessary. I don't blame you there.

I hope some other members can continue to brainstorm some potential causes. Hope your girl continues to improve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts