German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a breeder. I have no interest in more puppies. I'm just a curious first time dog owner..

I walked my Lincoln yesterday.My neighbor who always compliment him come up to me and ask if I would be interested in studding him out to her relative's dog. Well she asked if I am going to neuter him or not. I told her as of now we have no interest to neuter him. We want to keep him intact until at least 1 year old first unless something really bad happen and force us to neuter him now. I don't decide this because I want him to have a litter I just want him to grow as much as he could before even consider get rid of it. Lincoln is a companion dog. I'm not plan on using him in anything. Maybe some sport like agility but no show or SchH since there is no club around me.

Question is.. (please excuse my language)

When the time comes, and he wants some... would studding him out help?? Or he would still want some anyway?

If i'm going to go along with this, only reason would be it beneficial to my boy in some way. If not, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
All dogs have sex drives, for those who won't allow them to mate you need to channel it into other things: play, obedience, exercise, etc

Allowing him to mate will not help physically or mentally, you will still have to channel the drive.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Question is.. (please excuse my language)

When the time comes, and he wants some... would studding him out help?? Or he would still want some anyway?

If i'm going to go along with this, only reason would be it beneficial to my boy in some way. If not, I wouldn't do it.
Dogs don't 'want some' like humans do. If you have an intact male and he is around a female in heat..then you'll have a reaction from your male. You would even have a reaction from your male if he was neutered and around a female in heat.

I have/had intact males that never, ever 'got any'. They lived long, happy, healthy lives.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
There isn't really a time when they "want some." They aren't like humans who get an urge for that at a certain age. You will notice a change in his behavior if there is a female in heat around, but he's not just randomly going to want to get some. Dogs don't do that for pleasure, they do it to procreate, and don't really get the urge to do that if the pack structure is sound.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Just because a dog is intact and handy, doesn't mean it needs to be used for breeding. There are a lot more criteria that need to be met than that and certainly not just to help out a neighbor's relative. People are bizarre.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there is no benefit from this at all then?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
They get no benefit from it at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just because a dog is intact and handy, doesn't mean it needs to be used for breeding. There are a lot more criteria that need to be met than that and certainly not just to help out a neighbor's relative. People are bizarre.
lol chill. I'm not considering doing this for a good deed to my neighbor. She wants puppies from him. For what I didn't ask. I just start the thread out of my curiosity.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Like others said, dogs don't go around "wanting some". If there is a female nearby in standing heat, pretty much *any* male dog (neutered or not) is going to be interested, but otherwise they are just like any other dog, male or female, intact or altered. Chances are if you stud out your dog he may be MORE interested in females after that. Studding out a dog has absolutely NO benefit to your dog unless you have a good reason to do it as far as the puppies being produced.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Actually, there is a possibility that breeding him will make him not as good as a pet.

Usually dogs that have never been bred, don't know what they are missing, so they can actually be less troublesome even when a bitch is in heat, than a dog who has experience.

And, sometimes some breeding dogs can become more of a pain in the but. They may have more attitude, they may act up around other males, they may mark everything in the neighborhood, and if you managed to come in contact with a female in heat, they may mark your clothes or shoes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your response. Like I said if it wouldn't benefit my boy in anyway I would not do it. I'm new to dog so just trying to understand why it is a bad idea.

Plus... why wouldn't she consider him... he's handsome! (at least to me :p)

Attachments

·
Registered
27,250 Posts

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Actually, bitches are kind of funny. What they would choose in a mate is not necessarily what we might think handsome or endearing. The rangy, mangy border collie mix will be selected over a double world seiger.

If bitches were making the choices on whom to breed, dogs would look pretty much the same in every region after a number of generations.

And there are bitches who will nail the male good during the process, or not stand for some dogs, go home and stand for the next door neighbor's dalmation. Bitch wasn't ready? Uhm, no, she was ready.

Ah bitches.... Dogs are pretty straight forward: "a bitch! she's in heat! yay, I'll be right there, as soon as I can open this latch, there, coming!!!" Bitches on the the other hand can be very interesting. Dog, ok, Male, ok I don't like you in my face! Ok sniff my butt, yeah, I will stand there, lift my tail, ****just remembered this is a family friendly site, censored the rest before the Ladies Aide Brigade gets to it *******

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
He is pretty cute. I get complimented on Fiona a lot. She is pretty and has an excellent temperament. So I get asked, usually by a creepy guy, if I am going to breed her. My response is no! She is a puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
--What would be the point there are plenty of puppies just as handsome as him; you don't even know how he will turn out
--Have you even begun to consider the genetic outcome?
Exactly. I DON'T know how he will turn out thats why I start the thread to get educated on this subject matter. Can you just point out and not judging me already? If I don't care enough I would have done it without sitting here typing about it. When I said he is handsome I was saying it as a joke. :paranoid: I'm new to the dog world and couldn't find similar thread when I search for it.

@Lily's master: Thank you :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts