German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, next week is the big week and my last big purchase is for food and i've been researching for months trying to make a decision. I really was set on "Taste of the Wild: Bison" but reading here it appears that the general consensus is that it is not good for puppies.

So, my next choice has been "Canidae: All life stages" but it appears to get pretty mixed reviews on here even thought the review sites give it 5 stars. The only place I have found Orijen has it for $71/ bag which is putting it out of my budget range as that is only for a $27/lb bag.

Help me choose, and thanks as I know this is a topic discussed ad naseum.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Don't base your decision off food rating sites, they're opinions and 90%+ of those opinions haven't even been tested on the persons dog to give an honest rating of the food. Basically if it reads well, it gets more stars. But I've seen some foods read well but not FEED well, and THAT is what matters.

Personally, I fed Solid Gold for around 6 years. I used Wolf King for my big dogs and Just A Wee Bit (Small bite version of WK) to my small dogs. I've also fed their canned foods, treats and supplements and never once had a complaint. :thumbup: I know several people here raised their GSD's on their Wolf Cub formula but I personally just always switched my puppies to adult formulas.

I would highly recommend Solid Gold over the other foods you posted.

Though knowing your budget would also be helpful as Solid Gold IS a little pricier. However, if you can find a place that does like "buy 10, get the 11th free" or something (Petco for example), it REALLY helps with price. I know I used to buy Solid Gold for roughly $48 for 33lb that way.

If you have to go REALLY cheap, Whole Earth Farms is a good choice. I haven't used it on my own dogs personally but I have friends who use it with good results. :) It's made by Merrick and runs around $1/lb. Chicken Soup is also around $1/lb and I've used that with good results as well. But again, if you can afford it, I like Solid Gold. :D Don't break the bank on things like Orijen if you don't even know how the dog will do on other foods.

What is the breeder/current owner feeding? You'll want to keep the puppy on that for at least a week before you start switching foods.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Well, next week is the big week and my last big purchase is for food and i've been researching for months trying to make a decision. I really was set on "Taste of the Wild: Bison" but reading here it appears that the general consensus is that it is not good for puppies.

So, my next choice has been "Canidae: All life stages" but it appears to get pretty mixed reviews on here even thought the review sites give it 5 stars. The only place I have found Orijen has it for $71/ bag which is putting it out of my budget range as that is only for a $27/lb bag.

Help me choose, and thanks as I know this is a topic discussed ad naseum.
Can you get Precise in Houston? Should be able to easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can someone help me understand why it is that TOTW is bad for puppies?
My understanding is that the calcium and phosphorus levels are not suited for proper bone growth/development in puppies.

That said, my adult dogs LOVE the stuff and they thrive on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also don't see that they have a designated "puppy food" but only for all life stages. Will ALS food not be enough nutrients for a puppy? Ive also read that the puppy food can accelerate growth to the point that it can be bad for large breed development.

·
Registered
338 Posts
TATW was OK for mine

Fed TATW Bison from the time the youngest one came home. It was the recomendation of the breeder and now both of my girls do great on it. Try and see. You are going to be a great companion, don't over stress yourself though.​

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would have two concerns for a young puppy for TOTW (first 6 months only though) only because the ratios for Ca:p are a bit high. Closer to 2:1 than 1.2:1. I don't think that matters later. It is maybe not high enough to make a difference.

Protein is also a bit high and I guess that might encourage too rapid growth.

See this on Ca:p ratio and levels for puppies under 6 mos -

Disorders of mineral metabolism in puppies and juvenile dogs :: Dogs feeding, dog's genetics, breeds, care breeding, dog's psychology, dog at a show, veterinary, dog's anatomy :: Zooclub - all animals

Influence of dietary calcium and phosphorus conten... [Am J Vet Res. 2002] - PubMed result

feeding large giant puppies | GREATDANELADY.COM

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I have but would prefer to choose a different brand. Weve discussed it over with her as well. I think I am going to buy a small bag of the TOTW high prairie. FWIW they said they it is formulated the same as a puppy designated food and I like the idea of being able to feed the same throughout the dogs life.

I'll probably buy a small bag and gradually mix it in with the puppy food well get from the breeder. It seems like the dogs would really like it as well with bison and venison used as the protein.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I wouldn't feed either to a puppy. But, that is just my opinion. I would feed Solid Gold Wolf Cub. Canidae is a great food but I personally wouldn't use it for a puppy, even though it states all life stages. I would look into SG or Blue Buffalo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive also read that the puppy food can accelerate growth to the point that it can be bad for large breed development.
I think that's why some brands make a large breed puppy formula. In their literature they all stress paced growth.

In a purely unscientific observation I can say that my CC's litter mate weighed the same as her at 8 weeks (17 lbs.). At 12 weeks CC weighed 23 lbs. and her litter mate weighed over 30 lbs. Her litter mate ate Iams puppy formula. CC ate Wellness large breed puppy formula (though I've since switched to Orijen LBP). I don't know how much of that is portion control but the difference is kinda shocking to me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think im going to go with TOTW, Sierra Mountain. Its only 1.6% to 1% calcium to phos., its reasonably priced and I can get it close to my work.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I definitely would not feed TOTW to a puppy... as mentioned earlier... it has too much calcium.

Plus, TOTW is a diamond product which is almost as good of a reason to not feed as the calcium.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I fed Canidae Chicken and Rice when I have puppies, not the ALS.

I use TOTW for adults. However, here is the email I received from the veterinarian for TOTW. She does NOT recommend it for large breed puppies:

"The TOW formulas are approved by AAFCO to meet all the nutrient requirements for all life stages. AAFCO recognizes 3 life stages:
growth, maintenance, gestation/lactation. If a formula meets the nutrient requirements for all three of these stages it is given the "all life stage" approval.

The large/ giant breed puppies have different considerations. This population genetically maybe predisposed to juvenile orthopedic disorders, like hip/elbow dysplasia, osteochondrosis. These diseases have been found to be polygenic and multifactorial, meaning that several genes are involved and that other factors (like diet) affect the development. Clinical studies have shown that controlling the amount of calcium and energy in large breed puppy formulas will decrease the incidence of these diseases in that population. There are genetic registries, like the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals and Penn Hip, that record pedigree information and tie it to hip dysplasia and other genetic disorders.

If a puppy is predisposed for the juvenile orthopedic disorders, then a large breed puppy formula might be a better choice. (We make several different product lines, with different features and there are several choices for a LB pup formula- just not a grain free formula, if that's what you need) Other product lines are: Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Chicken Soup.

Ca in the WL and HP is 2.1% and PS 1.9% (as fed). These are above what is recommended in the literature (.7-1.2%)

Hope this helps.

Janet L. Rettenmaier, DVM, MS
Director of Veterinary Services
Diamond Pet Foods
Meta, MO 65058
ph.. 573-229-4203"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts