German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
My pups don't like to leave the yard when they are youngish.

But if I put them in the car and drive somewhere new, they will go for miles!!!!

So maybe it's kind of a 'not wanting to leave the yard thing' (there's no place like home, there's no place like home)

And who's got those dogs that mind getting up at 4 am!!??? Mine are locked and loaded whenever that alarm goes off!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
UPDATE: Tried our walk again this morning...the first half was a nightmare...treats didn't help much and praise was met with a glare....I finally dropped the leash and said "fine...do what you want and started walking away (OK, I was walking backwards watching him) and here he comes...happy as he could be...so we walked with him about two feet behind me and he didn't stray away at all....I picked up the end of the leash if I saw a car approaching..did this for a couple of blocks, picked up the leash and he walked just fine....praised him alot...

I think his approach to NILF is really great...I do exactly what he wants and I get rewarded

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: HellyUPDATE: Tried our walk again this morning...the first half was a nightmare...treats didn't help much and praise was met with a glare....I finally dropped the leash and said "fine...do what you want and started walking away (OK, I was walking backwards watching him) and here he comes...happy as he could be...so we walked with him about two feet behind me and he didn't stray away at all....I picked up the end of the leash if I saw a car approaching..did this for a couple of blocks, picked up the leash and he walked just fine....praised him alot...

<span style="color: #993399">
Whatever it takes. At least his "morning walks" will be able to take place. So you have a long line? You sound like me, I drop the leash and say "see ya!" and walk off.</span>

I think his approach to NILF is really great...I do exactly what he wants and I get rewarded

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Yay! I didn't think he'd just sit there by himself. When you're in an area where you can try running from him (in a park or school yard, etc.) try that--drop the leash and then run away from him as fast as you can. I promise he'll run after you...and this fun game is the beginning of how to teach recall. When catches up to you, praise, treat. Then start running again and yell come!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlYay! I didn't think he'd just sit there by himself. When you're in an area where you can try running from him (in a park or school yard, etc.) try that--drop the leash and then run away from him as fast as you can. I promise he'll run after you...and this fun game is the beginning of how to teach recall. When catches up to you, praise, treat. Then start running again and yell come!
Well...waddle will be more like it..but I can give that a shot for sure!

and we are getting a long leash this weekend.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Luca_stl got good comments but I want to add this is NOT just out in the yard or trying to walk down the street.

Key for me is always being somewhere strange and new (not within site of my front yard/house). Cause then I am the familiar and goal for my pup to stay with. If they can run back to the house, I may 'lose'. If they only have me, then I always win!!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDMy guess would be that it is dark at 4am? And he is probably afraid of the dark. Sounds "funny" but my pup was. There was a BIG difference between walking during daylight hours and walking after dark. She acted like the "Boggie man" was going to get her at night. But after forcing her to walk at night, she got over it. Chances are you are going to have to make him do it, he isn't going to do it "on his own" for quite a while otheriwse.
Elle is 2 and still is sort of scared of the dark...we don't know why, but if there is a dark room she will not go in there alone, I have to go with her, or DF or even Emma, but she won't go alone.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
UPDATE: My little man walked like a champ on the leash...never stopped, never pulled...I was so proud I couldn't praise him enough the entire time.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts