German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take Jackson (16 weeks) on my morning walk...at 4:00 a.m...just a half mile to see how he did....I don't walk fast at all...he didn't fight the leash...didn't pull...he just wouldn't go...I mean...would not go.

Took him home and went back and finished my walk....completely discouraged.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I go at 4:00 because its the only time it is reasonably cool and really the only time I have to go....he is so playful with our other dog at that time of the morning I thought he would like the walk...boy was I wrong....should I try again or just let it go for a while?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up until a week or so ago he always had the leash on....drug it around the house, etc...so he is used to it...when we go places he is fine on the leash...doesn't pull, stops and sits when I stop walking....he is used to the leash.

He just doesn't want to go for a walk...but he is going again tomorrow.

I hope

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I swear I've racked my brain....He didn't seem scared of anything...I just don't know...but I'm going to try again tomorrow...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDIs this a walk that you and Jackson take during the day? Or is it something totally "strange"?
This was our first time out to go walk...so its new for him...I do think it was "operator error" (me being the operator)..I expected far too much of him, but only because he has been so easy to train, taken to everything so quickly I just expected him to just go right along with me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I'm going to take a bag of treats for him....he will do anything for mama's chicken

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
Originally Posted By: HellyYep, I'm going to take a bag of treats for him....he will do anything for mama's chicken

Be sure and let us know how it goes.
I will and thanks to everyone for your help

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
UPDATE: Tried our walk again this morning...the first half was a nightmare...treats didn't help much and praise was met with a glare....I finally dropped the leash and said "fine...do what you want and started walking away (OK, I was walking backwards watching him) and here he comes...happy as he could be...so we walked with him about two feet behind me and he didn't stray away at all....I picked up the end of the leash if I saw a car approaching..did this for a couple of blocks, picked up the leash and he walked just fine....praised him alot...

I think his approach to NILF is really great...I do exactly what he wants and I get rewarded

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlYay! I didn't think he'd just sit there by himself. When you're in an area where you can try running from him (in a park or school yard, etc.) try that--drop the leash and then run away from him as fast as you can. I promise he'll run after you...and this fun game is the beginning of how to teach recall. When catches up to you, praise, treat. Then start running again and yell come!
Well...waddle will be more like it..but I can give that a shot for sure!

and we are getting a long leash this weekend.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
UPDATE: My little man walked like a champ on the leash...never stopped, never pulled...I was so proud I couldn't praise him enough the entire time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts