German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We have a 5 month old gsd pup and a 2 yr. old. We have had shepherds for many years. This pup we have is a very well balanced pup, however, she seems like she does not like us or care about us. The only time she is glad to see us is when we come home from work. The other problem we have is driving us both crazy. We have a fenced in yard and a kennel. The dogs are taught to relieve themselves in the kennel, which they do. We then go out to let them in. After work, we run them and play with them, however in the morning and at night, they need to come right in. The older female comes right in but the pup will go to the back of the yard and just look at us. We have left her out there several times, while watching her and she could care less. Of course, we get angry but are very careful not to show it or punish her if she comes. She knows the command come, and will listen in the house, but not outside. We have also tried to use the word in and when she comes in we say that and then give her a treat. My husband says the dog does not like us. She is also very interested in playing with the other dog, rather than us. I try to give her one on one time so she bonds with us. Other than that, she is a very well balanced pup, very laid back and accepting of any situation. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
1. Limit the time your pup spends with the 2 yr. old so she does not bond more to the other dog. If they are kept together in the kennel during the day while you are not home I would think about another arrangement. Interaction is fine, but too much will bond them to each other and not to you.

2. BE MORE FUN THAN THE OTHER DOG!!! You need to be the best thing in the world to your pup. All things good in life should come from you, and make sure you are doing motivational training one on one with her.

3. Get a long line, and use it. Do not give her the come command unless you have the end of the long line in your hand. When you tell her to come and she gives you the paw lightly jerk the long line repetitively while saying come. Once she heads towards you mark her coming (YES! or FINE! or GOOD GIRL!) and give her a treat. Your goal here is to condition her to think that much better things happen when she comes to you than if she just stayed out in the yard.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Agree with John.

It sounds like she is in the process of bonding more to the other dog than to you. Which is perfectly natural. Given a choice between humans and other dogs, it is normal for a dog to bond more closely too a member of it's own species. In order to get her to bond more to you than the other dog (and thus "like you more") her time with the other dog needs to be kept limited at this point. The majority of her *quality* time in terms of fun should be with the humans, not the other dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Thanks for answering me, your advice is well taken and I will try what you said. They are not together during the day.
What is motivational training?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Puppies aren't stubborn. They just either don't understand, and/or we haven't figured out how to motivate them to listen/learn/understand.

I know when I get a pup, I spend one on one time AWAY from the house with that pup at least 3 times a week. As others have commented on, otherwise it's alot more natural for our new pups to bond and hang with the older dog in the house. Making the humans just hangers on that pet, feed and constantly seem to be going 'blah blah blah blah blah' at them.........

To instead make them WANT to listen/learn and be with us we have to figure out what motivates that pup (food, play/toy drive is best) and work on that so they start to learn. Want to turn the 'blah blah blah blah' they are hearing now into them starting to be able to focus/learn and pick out works and info from us.

CLICKER TRAINING is ideal for me. Heck, here's a 6 week old BC already focused and learning and able to 'down'. Truthfully, it's the focus/attention that's most important. Because once we get that link the tricks and commands just start coming easy.

DOG CLASSES just for the puppy and you.

Clicker training videos (when we teach shaping we aren't supposed to talk!)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=15vKqCSNhqY&feature=user

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IC367wKGi4M&feature=related

Just watch how fast this puppy learns to sit!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hNSMY7Wqrtk&feature=related

Using the word 'yes' rather than the clicker to mark the behavior

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7NHqAW66-gE&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xdLl0yWA-0o&feature=related

And I just love this video to show it works so well, on a MULE!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HCtrtbdXkVw&feature=related

·
Registered
229 Posts
I generally agree with John and Maggie, but with a five month old, you are also being faced with dominance and pack order issues. The pup does not come because it doesn't want to and it does not respect you enough to do what its told even though it doesn't want to. How do I know? Because I am still dealing with the same issues in my six month old and there is no other dog in the house.

In many ways the older dog is a benefit, as the young pup will usually be subordinate to the older dog, and therefore to you as it sees the pack order. I would agree with the long leash. You say the dog knows the word 'come', but does it know to obey the word? Understanding and complying are different.

Another way would be to put the pup on a leash prior to the kennel bedtime and lead her to the kennel. Of course, this will become a known routine pretty quickly and you'll be chasing her to get the leash on.... it all comes back to patience and obedience training.

Easier said than done I know... I'm still working on it with mine.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote: I generally agree with John and Maggie,
Generally!! GENERALLY!!!!! How can that be!

(ok, maybe I"m not always right, maybe
)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm finding that not only young pups can be stubborn, but apearently the older pups can be too....Still got to love those sweet hairy faces though with those giant ears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts