German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5month old puppy n all of the sudden he doesn't wants to listen to my commends.

I don't know if this is just a phase or a dominant behavior. If so how long will he grow out of it?

Before I tried to play hide n seek with him n he would stay for a long time. I guess when I hid myself too well he thought I was trying to leave him?

Any suggestion would b helpful tnx.
ImageUploadedByPG Free1370939900.348386.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
457 Posts
You are asking a 5 month old puppy to stay for way to long and out of sight it sounds like. I would say your expectations are why to high.

He is in training still and still at the age where you should be making sure he is successful. Rushing training will not be good in the long run. You are always going to think he is stubborn and not listening when really you won't have done the proper foundation work if you continue to ask for to much at this age and set him up for failure.

I don't believe in the stubborn or teenage phase that some people talk about to me that is a training issue.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Before I tried to play hide n seek with him n he would stay for a long time. I guess when I hid myself too well he thought I was trying to leave him?

Any suggestion would b helpful tnx.
View attachment 79090

This in particular is not good you should be building confidence in him. If he is getting worried you are leaving you are laying a very bad foundation for his distance and out of sight work in the future.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
You are asking a 5 month old puppy to stay for way to long and out of sight it sounds like. I would say your expectations are why to high.

He is in training still and still at the age where you should be making sure he is successful. Rushing training will not be good in the long run. You are always going to think he is stubborn and not listening when really you won't have done the proper foundation work if you continue to ask for to much at this age and set him up for failure.

I don't believe in the stubborn or teenage phase that some people talk about to me that is a training issue.
Agree 100%. WD is 16 months and I am leaving him out of sight for about half a minute. I want everything rock solid before taking the next step.
Stubbornness is a human trait. if you think your dog is stubborn, it means you are not understanding how he learns and need to find the way to his brain.
Have fun with your pup, train him gently and take it easy with him. I did and it pays off big time. You have about 14 years ahead of you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Another thing I thought of that will help is with puppies I never recall them or release them from a sit or down unless I am beside or in front of them. Dogs anticipate so by leaving him in a stay then hiding out of sight and releasing him it makes sense that pretty soon he is going to start releasing himself sooner and sooner. Same thing for recalls from a stay. I don't know why but as soon as people have even the inkling of a stay they want to start adding a recall.

I can't say for sure at what point I start doing recall from a stay, but it is not until I am extremely confident in the stay behavior around all types of distractions, duration and distance. Then I will do it fairly rarely and always randomly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts