German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've become fed up with Bellamy's behavior, mostly because my expectations have been disappointed. When I think of a GSD I think eager-to-please, will and drive to work, actively training. ...Nope! Those are the qualities I love about this breed, and yet my shep doesn't have any of that. It seems he's only got the down sides of the breed: head-strong and hyper vigilant.
GSDs have always been my favorite breed because of their eager-to-please nature and work drive. For Bellamy though, if I left him home alone all day, I guarantee the house would be perfectly intact, as he'll be fine with laying there all day. He doesn't seem to have any will to work. I would love to have training sessions everyday with him, but he'd rather be doing something else, and I become so discouraged. When I tell him to sit sometimes he'll just melt into a down. I can put him back into a sit 50 times but he'll just go back into a down.
He is SO LAZY with his alerts (he's a service dog in training, he alerts to my nervous habit: scratching). I can be scratching my hand right in front of his face and sometimes he'll either stare at me then walk away, or look a different direction as if he's acting like he didn't see anything.
Why doesn't this dog want to do any training? I try to make it as fun as I can with treats, toys, and enthusiasm. Is there something I should be concerned about?
(Note: he loves to play and his prey drive is normal, so I'm not concerned about his health)

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Could you share his age.

How you got him

being stressed as you are will not help at all. He senses that for sure.

How is his health. Have you seen a vet.

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
First of all: 'lazy and stubborn' are human traits. Some dogs are called "lazy" because they were bred to be calm. "Stubborn" is a label we put on them when we haven't found the way to their brain and soul.
Questions to understand him better: Was he bred by a service dog organization? I have had a Lab in my class who was trained as a service dog but didn't make it though the program and was re-homed as pet. All initiative was trained out of him. Does he like to play WITH you? Are you any different in play than with practicing obedience?
How old is your dog? How old was he when you got him? What was his previous home like, including the situation at his breeder?
In the mean time, give him a break and don't over power him when he cannot handle it. Start with what he does well and gradually build on that. Hire a good educated trainer after you interview them about their skills.
Answers to these questions helps us help you better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you share his age.

How you got him

being stressed as you are will not help at all. He senses that for sure.

How is his health. Have you seen a vet.
He's just a year. I got him through a reputable service dog trainer. She got him from a good breeder who she trusts. I only brought him home a month ago. Aside from a bit of upset stomach from the home transition, he's been perfectly fine. I haven't taken him to a vet, as his trainer took him for a checkup before sending him home.
I do get stressed, but I'm sure to keep my energy and mood calm and happy when I'm working with him.

Was he bred by a service dog organization? I have had a Lab in my class who was trained as a service dog but didn't make it though the program and was re-homed as pet. All initiative was trained out of him. Does he like to play WITH you? Are you any different in play than with practicing obedience?
How old is your dog? How old was he when you got him? What was his previous home like, including the situation at his breeder?
In the mean time, give him a break and don't over power him when he cannot handle it. Start with what he does well and gradually build on that. Hire a good educated trainer after you interview them about their skills.
Answers to these questions helps us help you better.
I got him through a service dog trainer, and she got him from a trusted breeder, which she's gotten shepherds from before. The first 6 months of his life were about socializing and basic puppy stuff. Then his trainer started his training. Living with her was basically the same as living with me, except he was in a crate more often. He absolutely loves playing with me, I've even tried using a toy to grab his attention during training, but he tends to get frustrated and whine a lot because he just wants to play instead of listen. He's a year old, and I only brought him home a month ago

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I think you are perhaps expecting too much in such a short time. Give him time to bond don't force things. I would think he enjoys kids and people so walk him and allow him to just be a dog with no expectations. You will find his triggers that excite him just be patient. Keep your stress down and don't fight him to sit. If you offer a treat he likes just put it inside your hand after showing it to him and then close your hand up and hold your hand in front of him. Don't say anything and wait till he sits.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
You only brought him home a only month ago and he is a year old. I would work on bonding. Is there service dog classes you can take him to once settled in and bonded and evaluated at a later date. I had a two year old gsd -I brought home it took quite some time to bond - and start to stop missing his family I made sure i did beach trips, hikes fun walks etc. to start the bond - before that I was just someone who took care of him and fed him.

·
Super Moderator
7,072 Posts
Many of us are successful incorporating obedience commands during play."Sit!"dog sits,immediately throw the ball"Yes!"There's no time for him to think of anything else except to obey and get that reward.Duration and stringing commands together comes later.It's all fun while you get to know each other and develop the bond.He will be your best friend rather than a servant:)

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Is this the same dog you posted about lacking focus back in April? Did he complete his Service Dog training in July as expected? How much time did the trainer spend with you and the dog before sending him home with you?

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Besides all this he is an adolescent. I wold contact the trainer who knows him well. As others have said, you are going to fast with this boy. There are many years ahead of you both. Enjoy him and allow bonding. You can incorporate training in play like teaching impulse control. Obedience is not just sits and downs.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've become fed up with Bellamy's behavior, mostly because my expectations have been disappointed. When I think of a GSD I think eager-to-please, will and drive to work, actively training. ...Nope! Those are the qualities I love about this breed, and yet my shep doesn't have any of that. It seems he's only got the down sides of the breed: head-strong and hyper vigilant.
GSDs have always been my favorite breed because of their eager-to-please nature and work drive. For Bellamy though, if I left him home alone all day, I guarantee the house would be perfectly intact, as he'll be fine with laying there all day. He doesn't seem to have any will to work. I would love to have training sessions everyday with him, but he'd rather be doing something else, and I become so discouraged. When I tell him to sit sometimes he'll just melt into a down. I can put him back into a sit 50 times but he'll just go back into a down.
He is SO LAZY with his alerts (he's a service dog in training, he alerts to my nervous habit: scratching). I can be scratching my hand right in front of his face and sometimes he'll either stare at me then walk away, or look a different direction as if he's acting like he didn't see anything.
Why doesn't this dog want to do any training? I try to make it as fun as I can with treats, toys, and enthusiasm. Is there something I should be concerned about?
(Note: he loves to play and his prey drive is normal, so I'm not concerned about his health)
Maybe Bellamy isn’t the right dog for you and on the flip side of that maybe you’re not the right owner for him.

With all due respect, it almost seems (from what you wrote in your post) that your disappointed in your new dog. Dogs are keen on picking up on feelings and attitudes, maybe Bellamy knows that you’re not pleased with him because he lacks the qualities that you love about the GSD breed.

I’d bet that there’s a very nice family out there that would love a GSD like Bellamy.
Or even an older couple who would be satisfied with a lazy dog, especially one that’s hyper vigilant.

You should have what you want in a dog
And your dog should have an owner who appreciates and sees all the good he has in him.

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Maybe Bellamy isn’t the right dog for you and on the flip side of that maybe you’re not the right owner for him.

With all due respect, it almost seems (from what you wrote in your post) that your disappointed in your new dog. Dogs are keen on picking up on feelings and attitudes, maybe Bellamy knows that you’re not pleased with him because he lacks the qualities that you love about the GSD breed.

I’d bet that there’s a very nice family out there that would love a GSD like Bellamy.
Or even an older couple who would be satisfied with a lazy dog, especially one that’s hyper vigilant.

You should have what you want in a dog
And your dog should have an owner who appreciates and sees all the good he has in him.
Good point. many of us have gone through this

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
The trainer got this dog when he was six months old and started his training until you took him over at one year. Is that correct? So what exactly has the trainer been training him the last six months if he doesn't even know sit yet?

And please don't keep putting your dog into a sit fifty times if he is melting into a down. You are not communicating effectively with this dog and such things will only make it worse.

As has been said by others, this might not be the right dog for you. You might be much happier either with another dog or just letting this dog be your companion.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Service Dog Training

He's just a year. I got him through a reputable service dog trainer. She got him from a good breeder who she trusts. I only brought him home a month ago. Aside from a bit of upset stomach from the home transition, he's been perfectly fine. I haven't taken him to a vet, as his trainer took him for a checkup before sending him home.
I do get stressed, but I'm sure to keep my energy and mood calm and happy when I'm working with him.

I got him through a service dog trainer, and she got him from a trusted breeder, which she's gotten shepherds from before. The first 6 months of his life were about socializing and basic puppy stuff. Then his trainer started his training. Living with her was basically the same as living with me, except he was in a crate more often. He absolutely loves playing with me, I've even tried using a toy to grab his attention during training, but he tends to get frustrated and whine a lot because he just wants to play instead of listen. He's a year old, and I only brought him home a month ago

Seems to me training time with you has been way too short. When I raised a dog for Guide Dogs For The Blind, I had Nettie 18 months (10 weeks to about 2 years old), then she was returned to Guide Dogs For The Blind in San Rafael, CA for on-site service training with their "professional trainers" for 4 weeks, then another 6 weeks (?-it has been a long time) in-house training with the blind person (Janice) & the "professional trainer". My particular puppy, Nettie, finished the in-house "professional trainer" training early. I think most dogs go through a period of 6 to 8 weeks with the "professional trainer". But, Nettie was so well-trained by me, they pulled her "early" and placed her with Janice that was already in the in-house program and had failed with her first dog. Nettie & Janice worked out great and continued with each other the rest of Nettie's life. When Nettie retired, she was kept as Janice's pet dog & she got a new working dog from Guide Dog's For the Blind. It sounds to me like your dog has not had enough time to bond with you, nor enough time with you & the professional trainer & the dog (all three together). I would start asking questions, lots of them. If your not happy, trust me, the dog knows that and it is or will become a serious stressor on the dog. It's important for you to be happy and your dog be happy, as well.:gsdsit: Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Oh wow, most of the people who come here they complain about being overwhelmed by the energy and eagerness of their pup, so this is something else!

What I would do in your situation is to find ONE thing that he REALLY, REALLY likes to do. Nosework, puzzle toy, fetch, obedience. Whatever he likes best and use it as a tool to bond.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Why not spend a session with the trainer that had him and worked with him for 6 months. Have her show you what she trained him to do and how she went about it with him. A month is not a long time to have had a dog. And he is very young.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heh, maybe I should rephrase a few things to clarify.
Yes, I did only bring him home a month ago, but understand that he's known me since he was 5 months old, and I've worked with him throughout the time he was with the trainer. I actually worked for the trainer whenever she needed me to help out as a way to make the money to pay for Bellamy. Plus she had me come over sometimes just for training sessions, so I have had a lot of time working with Bellamy throughout this year of his life.
And while I appreciate the advice, I definitely won't be giving him up and getting a new dog. First of all, Bellamy costed a fortune, but other than that I can't give up a dog that I've bonded with, even if he doesn't possess all the qualities I was looking forward to. I know he'll get to where I need him to be, I just need to figure out the best way to get him there. I have been keeping my stress to a minimum, and will step away from training if it gets out of hand. The main issue is that Bellamy does not want to train. He just wants to walk away, and I don't know why. He loves playing with me, loves going on walks with me, he follows me everywhere, and he actually gets excited about going out when I break out his vest and let him know it's time to work. The thing is, he just seems like he doesn't really feel like listening.
Someone who responded mentioned something about why Bellamy doesn't even know sit and down. Just to clarify, he does know his commands, he just doesn't follow through sometimes when I give him his commands.

Oh wow, most of the people who come here they complain about being overwhelmed by the energy and eagerness of their pup, so this is something else!

What I would do in your situation is to find ONE thing that he REALLY, REALLY likes to do. Nosework, puzzle toy, fetch, obedience. Whatever he likes best and use it as a tool to bond.
I've actually been meaning to try nosework with him haha! I will certainly try these! Thank you~

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Training and play should be indistinguishable. That is, teaching happens all the time, so if he likes to play with you, he likes to train with you BECAUSE it is the same thing!

Think of training as structured play. As you're playing, occasionally make him sit in order for play to continue. Then gradually introduce more rules...

My guess is that, whether you realize it or not, your body language and demeanor changes when it's time to "train" and he knows that isn't going to be FUN. So just start incorporating structure, a little at a time, into your play sessions...it's technically called the Premak Principle, so you can Google it for a more thorough explanation. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Exactly what Tim s Adams said! It really gets them excited and they will motivate you to get to training!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts