German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My border collie, Maya, used to be extremely neurotic, unable to calm down and typically a ‘rebellious’ puppy before i implemented structure into the household routine.

I prevented the pacing, barking and rough housing by getting maya an elevated place or bed. She uses it when she’s not training, eating, playing, etc. It sits in our living room, so if i’m not busy doing stuff with her, she lays there to help decompress and calm down. I’ve noticed that because of this, her dog reactivity has improved significantly. She has a calmer state of mind and she isn’t always looking for something to do, resulting in a stressed out dog.

Have you guys applied any structural routines in your house?

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Good job! Yes, and it works. In their puppy hood plenty of crate time and now being ignored off and on. Dogs are flexible and go with our routines. They do constantly keep an eye on me though to see if there is a chance for play, training or goodies from the counter ;)

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Yes, offleash exercise. Those behaviors are the result of not burning off their energy. Herding breed are meant to run tirelessly for long periods of time. Even my less active GSDs still need exercise twice a day most days. My WL dog also gets scent training and we run through some form of mental stimulation every day. My older dog entertains herself but still gets exercise. When the other dog is going through his activities, she is off on her own pouncing on things or digging or something else. I also use a Place command when they are charged up. The crate is a last resort when I am in a hurry and don’t have time for other activities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good job! Yes, and it works. In their puppy hood plenty of crate time and now being ignored off and on. Dogs are flexible and go with our routines. They do constantly keep an eye on me though to see if there is a chance for play, training or goodies from the counter ;)
Yes!
I realize i forgot to add that maya isn’t in her place or kennel all the time. She gels with my routine and time because of the amount of physical/mental stimulation and training i have done with her to be able to stay for as long as needed. She spends maybe 2 hours in her place spread out throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Absolutely! She knows her 'place' and what is expected of her when I am busy doing things around the house.
When I come home from work, she gets super excited for a few minutes and then calms down.
Busy cooking/we're having dinner? she is just lays quietly near the kitchen.
Watching tv? She goes lays in her Kuranda bed in the living room.
Vacuuming? Crate.
Preparing their breakast? Now this is a challenge. She is supposed to stay in her crate on a down, she will break it a few times and whines most of the time, I think seeing the cats eating while I'm still working on their bowls set her off.

Nice work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts