German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just posted an intro message under the appropriate place but I wanted to talk more about our newly acquired German Shepherd. I am hoping to get some good advice on how to deal with the situation I find myself in as I feel like I'm caught in the middle of something that shouldn't even be a something!

This is likely to be a long post - so I apologise in advance.

First I should state that I am not really a German Shepherd person. Until just recently I hadn't actually met a German Shepherd that I liked. Then I met a couple that weren't too bad and a couple that I could actually say that I really liked. One of which was a four year old girl that was rescued off of the Euthanasia list. She was on the list for being aggressive towards people (which she wasn't.).

Anyway I offer dog boarding on my property for select dogs at a very reasonable price - and about a month ago I was asked to board a couples two German Shepherds for a week. A week turned into two weeks and two weeks turned into them being unable to take their dogs back. They asked me if I could find them homes. Well I found the boy a home quickly - which was excellent because he was a very annoying dog. The girl though I ended up bringing into the house (my boarding dogs have their own building). I wanted to test her with cats because her previous owners weren't sure if she was okay with them. Well she turned out to be okay with them and was also crate trained so in the house she stayed.

So of course we started to bond and I quite like her though I am not sure she is really the right dog for our family. The problem that I am having is with a friend of mine. This friend who I like very much is interested in giving this dog a home. The problem is that I don't think she treats her dogs very well. She breeds/shows German Shepherds and is of a very "old school" frame of mind. She won't have an animal in the house that she cannot show or breed - in her words "I cannot have an animal that I cannot use". Which is her prerogative and would be fine but she also trains and handles her dogs in very roughly physically. Her dogs listen to her because they are afraid of her. She is all about alpha rolling and stuff like that - none of which I agree with. She is also the type of person that her opinion is the *only* opinion and if you do not agree with her you are just plain wrong and stupid.

So - she wants me to give her Keeva so she can breed her. Though Keeva is not show quality (She does come from pretty good working lines). She keeps telling me "If you cannot keep her, I want her!" but right now she is already looking for a home for one (or possibly two) of her other shepherds and has a litter of week old puppies on the ground. She doesn't really need her and I don't want to give her to her.

I made an appointment to have Keeva spayed later this month because then - even if we do not end up keeping her she won't want her anymore. However I am realllly getting sick of having to watch everything I say around her because she gets cranky if anyone disagrees with her.

I know it is probably stupid to be so stressed out about it - but it just feels like walking on egg shells. Part of me wants to just tell her how I feel about the way she treats her dogs but I am pretty sure that would end our friendship with blow out screaming match.

Not sure if anyone here will have any advice but I sure appreciate the opportunity to write it all out!

Bea

·
Registered
31,796 Posts
NO!!!

ok...that was my first reaction. Thank you for keeping Keeva and giving her a good home.

Now..to expand...I would never give a dog to this person...ever...

Just simply tell her "We love Keeva very much and have no intention of parting with her" But after you spay her, the conversation may never be brought up again because she "won't be of any use"

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I can sympathize. I would find it very difficult to deal with someone like your friend. Once you spay Keeva, this person will no longer have any interest in her and she will no longer be a factor in your decision as to keep or rehome her.

My guess is that the Keeva situation is just exposing a fundamental difference in you and your friend's relationship with dogs.

Srsly, alpha rolling?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
What Jax said....

-but on another more 'spiritual' note: Why would you want a person as a friend who brings this kind of stress into your life, who doesn't have even the same respect and empathy for animals that you have?

Maya Angelou said "When someone shows you who they really are, believe them the first time."

Not telling you to cut your friend off but ...just tossing out some food for thought that the stress you feel is in trying to keep a relationship that is bringing negativity into your life.

Thank you for helping Keeva and keeping her best long term interests at heart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes! Alpha rolling.

We were over at her house once not that long ago and her 2yr old female didn't want to come over and sit.

So she went over and grabbed her by the collar and flung her down onto the cement, put a knee on her chest and started screaming at the poor dog.

My dogs are way more obedient than hers and I have never had to resort to such behavior. I wouldn't want my dogs to behave out of a sense of fear. Who wants their dog to be afraid of them? All of her training methods are like 20-30yrs out of date.

She actually ended up getting one of her puppies back from a past litter about six months ago. He was returned for aggression issues (the people kept him locked in a 6 x 10 dog run outside all of the time). Anyway she started "working" with him on the aggression issues. He seemed to improve for a few weeks then she did something and he went after her and tried to bite her so she had him put down.

Was such a waste of a dog. So needless to say I would never actually give her a dog. It's just putting a lot of strain on our relationship. I'd actually just walk away from the whole thing but she co-owns a couple of our cats, which are show cats that she actively shows.

Bea

·
Registered
31,796 Posts
Yikes...just spay Keeva...I'm sure that will fix the problem. And when you are finally able to...make a break for it as fast as you can. Who needs that kind of stress in their lives.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Your friend sounds like a byb to me. She only cares about the money and not bettering the breed. I could be off base with that. JMO
One thing I do know is your thread should have been called, stress and the BAD GSD owners that are causing it.
Poor dogs, it is very nice of you to take on the task of finding them new homes, and the fact that you didnt just throw them to the first people who asked says allot about how well you care for your animals. Some people would have just tossed them to whoever wanted them without considering if it was the right thing for the dog. I think you should be commended for that.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Are you 100% sure the female is even intact? Typically rescued dogs are spayed or neutered. Just might make things easy.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nancy,

She is not a rescued dog in the sense of coming from a rescue. Though I did mentioned a different GSD in my post that was a rescue. The post was kind of long winded and incoherent - so sorry for being unclear!

Keeva (formally Ziva) - was left here after being boarded with me for two weeks. She is not spayed. She was also not micro-chipped and needed a parvo/distemper shot and a rabies shot. We have since gotten that taken care of as well as registering her with the AKC (previous owners hadn't bothered) and we also contacted the person who bred her in the first place to let them know that we had her.

Bea

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Keep her. You sound like a wonderful person for doing the things you have done. Another boarder may have sent those dogs to the animal shelter after they were notified that the owners did not want them and were probably not going to continue boarding payments. Kudos to you and what a lucky dog she is to have you.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Your friend's behavior sounds like it would give my dogs nightmares...might do it for me, as well :( Thank you for taking care of Keeva!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I say Keep her :) and thanks for what you've done for her so far. No matter what please don't let your friend have her

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thank Goodness possesion is 9/10's of the law. Do not give this dog to this person. I think that once you get her spayed and get used to having her around you will see how special these dogs are.

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
Spay her or don't. Do it for you and your lifestyle, not because there is someone outside who sees her as a potential breeding bitch. You can always say that she is fixed.

I know, that's a lie. A lie that doesn't hurt anyone. A lie that shuts everyone up. A lie that removes her reproductive value to people who shouldn't own living creatures.

Usually for pets though, getting them (females) fixed is just easier all around.

But it is the same for people with males. If someone screeches to a halt and waits for you to get near enough for them to shout out and ask if your dog is intact, just say "no" and keep on going. The person drives away disappointed, but he drives away.

On the other hand, it sounds like telling the individual something like, "Look, you can get that right out of your head right now, because I will let lightning strike her first." might actually make an impression on the person. But then you are in a business, and reputation is everything, and it really does not take an upstanding citizen to reek havoc on anyone's reputation. Your best bet is to tell her the dog is fixed, she will say, what a shame, and give up. But she will not spread nasty lies behind your back. I mean, anyone might not want an intact bitch in the house, or in the kennels where there are dogs that might fuss about a season.

Glad you gave the girl a home and found a home for the boy. GSDs really are an awesome breed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
#1. Keep the dog and lose the Friend. JMO
#2. Give the dog away to someone you know will be a great owner and lose the friend

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't think I could have a friend like that, I really don't think I could keep my mouth shut if I saw her treat her dog like that. There is no way on this green earth I would give her a dog.

Zeeva sounds like a sweetie, I would spay her , either keep her for yourself, or find a good home for her. (but I'm all for keeping her:)

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Tell her you just got the vet records for the dog and she was spayed by the previous owner.

Then get her spayed when you can. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts