German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I did not think that Ellie was stressed from the new pup but maybe I am wrong. We’ve had fosters here, prior previous pets of mine and doggy daycare with my other families pets and I’ve never seen her have a chew spot like this. I know she is an anxious dog but have never seen her chew like this. Lately I’ve heard her chewing/licking overnight and I figured it was just the normal licking, I just noticed this today! Any thoughts? I want to see if it resolves over the next few days and if not I’ll schedule with our vet. It’s only on in the one spot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
It might not be stress related, though that is certainly a possibility. My girls have been known to chew a hole liked that when they are getting ready to blow coat.

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Ditto on the Vetericyn. It always clears up any hot spot the girls get.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
If I catch one of mine licking an area I will use chlorohex wipes on it and that has headed off most of them from blowing up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get so bad with replying to these. I think @dogfaeries was right because she definitely blew her coat off. Usually she does this end of October, maybe moving back to New York affected this. We prevented licking and infection!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sort of unrelated and I don't intend to hijack this but...when do your pups typically do their fall coat blow? Willow spent like 1-1.5 months shedding like mad, which just now seems to be finally tapering off (mid-December). Of course, I also had her spayed in October, maybe that affected things...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sort of unrelated and I don't intend to hijack this but...when do your pups typically do their fall coat blow? Willow spent like 1-1.5 months shedding like mad, which just now seems to be finally tapering off (mid-December). Of course, I also had her spayed in October, maybe that affected things...
Usually a month after the fall equinox when daylight amounts are shifting very rapidly. That seems to trigger it. Same thing in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts