German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this here because I'm a little worried about the health ramifications, but wondering how many of you have experience with diarrhea following stressful situations.

Willow has had diarrhea a few times; when I first got her, she had it for maybe a day (stress-related I'm sure); when I got her spayed, she had it for maybe a day (stress and possibly anesthesia related). Both of those times she only had it during her normal poop times; there were no emergencies, no accidents. Then she had a bout of really bad diarrhea that I'm guessing was viral or bacterial; had to put her on metronidazole to get rid of it, lasted about a week. She did have one accident during that time and was pooping a lot.

That was the last time she's had diarrhea, and that was back in October. There have been times she's pooped twice during a walk and the second poo is always really gross and liquidy, but I don't know if it's really diarrhea, more like she's forcing whatever's in there out because she wants to mark (she LOVES to mark, marks more than any dog I've ever seen).

So. On to today's story time.

It's finally been warm out lately so I'm letting Willow swim in the river now and then. Today we walked to the river. On the way, she had her normal poop. We got to the river and I told her "okay" to swim. She jumped in and immediately started swimming toward the current, which was, well, too strong for her.

Scared me to death. And probably her, too. The current took her maybe 25 yards downstream and she fought against it, trying to get back to me. The bank here is really steep and undercut except for that place I let her go in, so I didn't think she'd be able to get out unless she came back to that spot. I started running along the bank beside her and we found a spot where she could maybe get out. She got her feet under her and tried, but the bank was too high and she fell backward, and went back in the river to swim upstream again, failed again, and came back. This time I was there and I caught her and pulled her onto the bank.

She didn't seem to be any the worse for wear; I'm sure she was freaked out while this was happening (the whole thing took maybe 1 minute) but then she was her same happy self right after that. We started walking home.

About 10 minutes later she let loose a big old stinky pile of diarrhea. A minute after that she stooped like she was trying again, but nothing came out.

Everything seems fine now; it's been about 2.5 hours. I'm just a little worried about the diarrhea, and hoping it was just related to the high-stress event or maybe a little dehydration (it was warm today). I guess time will tell if it comes back. I canceled my plans to do some evening field work tonight so I could stay home and monitor her and prevent any accidents.

Anyway, does this sound unusual at all? And I know I probably shouldn't let her swim....there's a good chance there's giardia in the river and she always gulps a lot of water when she gets in...but she loves it so much!! But I'll definitely be more careful about only letting her swim where the current isn't very strong; the river's come up a lot over the last couple days (snowmelt) so this took us both by surprise I think.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I doubt she'd be having diarrhea from giardia from that particular exposure (I'm not expert, but I always thought it took longer to become symptomatic).

Luc was a nervous pooper, and he would've pooped just like she did. I'd keep an eye on it, but hopefully it was just nerves (and poor you too!).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I wouldn't worry. A single loose stool isn't a worry. Ziva gets stress colitis after events she feels stressful about. She has been known to have a full day of loose stools after travel, a bad thunderstorm, going to the vet, anything that significantly upsets her karma.
Even though Willow recovered quickly once she felt safe the adrenaline rush had already affected her GI tract. Actually it's a good sign she recovered quickly and only had one loose poop so far. I wouldn't get concerned unless it lasts more than a day or two.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Excitement poops most likely. Here the water is running high with the warm temps and mountain snow melt, I've been keeping mine shore bound which they're not too happy about.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excitement poops most likely. Here the water is running high with the warm temps and mountain snow melt, I've been keeping mine shore bound which they're not too happy about.
Have you ever run into problems with giardia? I got so nervous about that after Willow got that bad bout of diarrhea last year. My vet wasn't interested in examining her or even analyzing a fecal sample (ugh) so I never found out what caused it, and I had been letting her swim/drink out of the river. I know tons of people around here let their dogs swim in the river, and I'm also really counting on letting her drink out of the creeks when we go backpacking (hoping she likes backpacking because I want to do that a lot this summer) ... and I rarely hear of people around here (western Montana) having problems with giardia.

Also, general update, Willow's poop this morning = normal! Huzzah!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Have you ever competed in running races? Nervous diarrhea. It's caused by adrenaline. Long lines at porta-potties before a race (gross but true). Dogs get it too- it doesn't really mean much. Stress is part of life. That sounds stressful but not that bad- dogs do not think of the "what ifs" like we do.

My husky boy often gets the runs. He does best by far on Canidae which is why I feed that food in part, but it still happens. I generally simply fast him for 12-24 hours and start him back on rice/broth diet and he recovers. Dogs can have iffy guts just like humans. Some blood in the stool used to freak me out, but it's not uncommon in dogs with digestive issues. However- Black tarry stool with digested blood- bring that dog in to the vet ASAP!

I think she'll be fine and I wouldn't worry about giardia a whole lot.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Mine has that happen when we go dock diving usually. Even just practice. He gets nuts at the dock and probably ingests some pool water while diving and the combo seems to result in a big slightly nasty poop before we leave for home a decent amt of the time

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Have you ever run into problems with giardia? I got so nervous about that after Willow got that bad bout of diarrhea last year. My vet wasn't interested in examining her or even analyzing a fecal sample (ugh) so I never found out what caused it, and I had been letting her swim/drink out of the river. I know tons of people around here let their dogs swim in the river, and I'm also really counting on letting her drink out of the creeks when we go backpacking (hoping she likes backpacking because I want to do that a lot this summer) ... and I rarely hear of people around here (western Montana) having problems with giardia.

Also, general update, Willow's poop this morning = normal! Huzzah!
Never an issue with creek water in the Selkirk and Cabinet (Idaho) mountain areas. In fact I rarely take extra water on hikes because the availability of clean water. I suppose my dogs could pick up a bug at some point, wrong place wrong time kind of thing, but with all the time I’ve spent up there and with the different dogs I’ve had, not a single one has developed an issue.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't mind the extra poop, but after Nitro's swim this morning,and my daughter now calling him Nitrous, it's bath time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts