German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you prevent a dog attack with your own dogs out on walks? I've heard it mentioned but never had to deal with it myself. I bought some pepper spray and will start taking that on my walk but wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

I just moved to this house so i'm not too familiar with the area..i've gone on a few walks and tons of dogs in the area most are in a yard, one house has 4 or 5 pit bulls chained up outside on no more then 4 ft of leash, one dog looks mean and can reach the street on his leash. I wonder if I could call animal control about that? Considering the dog seems mean and can reach city property...

The issue was a lab running around, had a collar/tags but was dragging around half of a chain. He charged me and my dogs, luckily mine didnt react much, i told them to down/stay and they did, the dog eventually just walked off but still barking/growling with his hackles raised.

I have a feeling if my dogs were to react in an aggressive way he may have reacted to that and actually attacked them.

A neighbor saw this and told me to pick up a brick and hit the dog with it, but i think that would have just angered him even more..lol

We made it home safe, im glad i have well behaved dogs! They drag me a little but at least they did what they were told right away.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would absolutely hate to hurt an animal. Yesterday I was taking Vida to go get some food and there was a loose GSD running back and forth across the busy street. I was hoping it would come over to me so I could look at his collar but when he did, he looked at Vida like he was going to eat her alive. I put her behind me and thank god she listened to me when I told her 'down'. The dog ran off.. but there was a elem. school just down that street. GSDs do not have a good rep in my area, neither do dobes, rottis or pittys because the ones we see are trained to be 'gaurd dogs' and get out.
I guess pepper spray would be your best bet.. better than a brick atleast.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I agree that you should call animal control about those other dogs. Do you know if there are any chaining laws in your area? You may also want to contact Dogs Deserve Better, and they may try to help with the dogs that are chained in the yard.

If possible put your dog behind you and stomp and yell at any loose dogs coming toward you to try to scare them off. This will work for a lot of dogs, but not all.

One of my dogs was attacked by a dog that jerked away from her owner on a walk last summer, and now I carry pepper spray, too. I haven't had to use it, yet, but it makes me feel a bit more confident to have it just in case.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will go down there and get the exact address and photos and try to contact someone about the pit bulls. They have at least 4 that I could see all chained up in various areas where they can't reach one another. They don't look hurt or like fighting dogs but probably definately some bad breeding going on...

I called animal control about the lab, it was still hanging out in this area last I saw so I hope they pick it up. I told them to call me if they did just so I'd know..but i dont know if they actually will or not.

My main concern was wanting to be able to scare a stray dog away without just pissing him off even more and making him more aggressive towards me, but like I said i've never had to deal with an aggressive dog. I think pepper spray might be best though as well.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
"They have at least 4"

Does your city have laws about how many dogs you're allowed to have?
Here it's 2. But people can have more given that the dogs aren't causing a public disturbance.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
When I take my guys on a walk I carry the following:

#1 most important thing - a CELL PHONE with my local police department # on speed dial

Treats - to use with my dogs for training AND to throw at an approaching dog if I believe I need to distract them.

A stout walking stick - which I WILL use if a dog goes after me or mine.

I worry about using pepper spray and getting it in MY dogs face by accident. That would just make the issue even worse to recover from for the dog.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
very true about the pepper spray. it's something you actually need to practice with. You need to know how far the spray is accurate to aim as well as how it would be affected by wind.

I'm with Lauri, I just carry a big stick

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I carry pepper spray. Well, it's actually military grade mace. You do have to be aware of wind direction, but not to a huge degree. This kind that I have shoots a pretty powerful stream, so you don't have to worry TOO much about blowback.
Thankfully, I've never had to use it but I wouldn't hesitate if I needed to. I hate the thought of hurting another dog, even temporarily, but the safety of mine comes first.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Call animal control, let them know you think the bulldogs are being abused (if they are truly on 4' chains) and one can reach the road... and do yourself a favor, buy a breakstick and learn how to use it.
http://catchdogreleasetool.viviti.com/

There was a just a member on my other forum who was walking their APBT and a GSD jumped his fence and attacked, well they didn't have a breakstick on hand so they had to hold the dog for several minutes until it released the GSD.

Also carrying a STURDY walking stick, preferably with a knot or thicker end at one side, and using it against an attacking dog can help, or just to show a friendly stray boundaries.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
AND get yourself another, strong leash to carry, so if your dog is set upon by a bulldog you can get the leash around his or her neck and pull it to the nearest area where you can secure it (a fence, pole, ect) and then pull out the breakstick.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't like to harm any animal but if comes down to my Dog or theirs, then will be theirs... for this Telescopic Police Baton 16" Expandable always come in handy.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
where does one get a
Quote:Telescopic Police Baton 16" Expandable
and I wonder if I"m restricted from having one here in RI

1 - 13 of 13 Posts