German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I decided to drive up to my mothers house, it's roughly about 1hr 15min. Nuhkia did well in the car as she usually does. I was a little worried at how she would do around my family, especially my 5 yr old niece. My reason for concern is because the last few times ppl have walked by the two of us while on a walk she usually tries to shy away and run. And the last person that jogged by us, she first shyed away and once the stranger had passed by she lunged forward and barked. I thought oh lord I have to get her socialized as much as possible before she gets much older and it turns into fear agression.

Be advised she'll be 4 mon on Jan 2nd.

So, we arrive at my moms. My sister and one of my brothers are standing outside smoking ( it was dark outside) and of course she hesitantly walked with me yet wanting to stop or go the other way. I just kept walking and stopped about 5 ft away from them. They started talking to her and my sister put her hand down, Nuhkia smelled her hand and licked it a few times and then walked back to my side.

Well after getting her in to the house she was nervous of course, but seemed to be a little curious, so I let her walk around and smell the new surrounds, all the while she was still on the leash. My mom walked in and put her hand down talking with Nuhkia, who she has met once before and Nuhkia seemed to remember her from the week before. Well after a while Nuhkia seemed to settle right in and was fine with ppl she didn't know walking around her, however she kept an eye on them the whole time. Then in walks my niece. For a split second I was freaked, and then I realized I had to control the situation, and calmed down.

My niece walked up to Nuhkia and stuck her hand out, Nuhkia took a step and smelled her hand and then licked it. Within an hour Nuhkia was lying on the floor, my niece setting beside her, placed her hand on her side and began to pet her, Nuhkia then layed on her side and showed her stomach to my 5 yr old niece to rub~!!! I was extremely relieved, considering most of the time Nuhkia will hardly let me rub her belly while she lays still.

So, I'm think as far as ppl go, she seems to be ok after she's around the ppl. However she's definately hesitant for the first few moments. To me it would seem she has an ok foundation to start from and to build apon.

Now, having never been around another dog besides her litter mates I was interested to see how she would be with my sisters 1 yr old shitzu. Well he was a complete maniac when he seen Nuhkia, all he wanted to do was play. We had both dogs on the leashes. Nuhkia had sit down on her rump like it was fort knox. So, to try to get her to understand how one should meet another, I motioned for her to raise up, and moved my hand under her stomach. I kept my hand under her to keep her from sitting, we let my sisters dog smell her and then we turned him around to allow Nuhkia to do the same. Within 5 minutes Nuhkia was bouncing off the walls wanting to play! Unfortunately we couldn't because of the size difference, Nuhkia at 3.5 mon is 3 times his size and weight and with her mouthing at him we were afraid she grab his nose, which her already has problems with.

So all in all. What would you all say to this experience and the way she handled herself?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I'd say she did well, especially if it was dark out when you approached the house with people outside smoking. Those two things limit sight and scent for a pup, scent is huge for a dog to figure out the surroundings.
Remember that what you are feeling is conveyed down the leash and even if the leash isn't attached to the dog, the dog can feel your emotions and feed off of them...best to feel confident so your pup will know that you are the one controlling all situations.
Regarding the shitzu, leashes can cause reactivity in some dogs, but sounds like things went smoothly.
If you are in an obedience class, that will help your pup with working w/ distractions and building confidence. Then if you find a classmate of similar size, age and temperament you could have playdates for exercising and socializing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts