German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hondo has never been a mouthy dog, but last night he started to grab my hand / wrist and hold it in his mouth. He doesn't chew or play or tug, he just holds it.

He had a very eventful weekend this weekend. My daughter came over from Louisiana on Thursday night with her beagle from the depths of he!!.

Someone's car went off in the ditch Friday night and got stuck. Saturday morning they returned to get it out bringing with them every person they knew who owned a truck to participate in the the monster truck pull-out.

Saturday night our neighbor down the road lost their pony and drove up and down our road slowly with a search light shining in everyone's pastures. Eventually the pony made it to our pasture and the owners were wondering around in our pasture with flashlights driving Hondo insane. We were able to trap it in our round pen and the Wild Pony of Pearland adventure ended peacefully.

Sunday afternoon my folks and my sister & family came over for dinner. Hondo behaved well, although I don't allow him to run around my parents as I'm concerned that he'll knock them down. So he spent a lot of time at a stay, in his crate or in the yard. This was for about 2.5 hours.

After everyone was gone, I was cleaning up. Hondo kept coming to me and grabbing my hand / wrist and stand there looking at me. At one point I took him outside and brushed him thinking he was feeling insecure or something. Later when we went to bed, I allowed him on the bed thinking he needed some 'me' time, but he did it again. This time taking my wrist in his mouth and actually laying down flat on his side with my wrist still in in his mouth. He isn't playing, he just sorta freezes. He doesn't apply a lot of pressure or pulls, he just holds it snuggly.

Should I stop this behavior if it continues? Do you think that perhaps he is a little out of sorts because we had so many 'strange' things happening this weekend?

·
5,627 Posts
This time taking my wrist in his mouth and actually laying down flat on his side with my wrist still in in his mouth. He isn't playing, he just sorta freezes. He doesn't apply a lot of pressure or pulls, he just holds it snuggly.
This part sounds like he was asking for some petting. If all of that activity is out of the norm for him then I would think he is just looking for some reassurance.

I had a foster once who communicated that way. He would take my hand like Hondo did to get my attention. Also, if I was petting him somewhere and he didn't want me to, he would just take my hand and move it. Never with any pressue or force just communicating gently what he wanted the best way he knew how.

I think it is up to you on whether or not you correct it. It depends on it bothers you and if you are afraid he will start to apply pressue or do it to someone else.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GSDraven - I suppose I'll watch closely and see how it plays out. I'm pretty careful about how he interacts with other folks because he can be intimidating. If he continues, or if he does to to others then I'll revisit it.

He holds my mini doxie's head in his mouth, but she squeaks when he does it. It makes me wonder now if he does it because he is attempting to be affectionate with her. hmmmmmm something to ponder on.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Maybe he just wanted to hold your hand. :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I know what's going through his mind when he's doing that:

STOP HITTING YOURSELF STOP HITTING YOURSELF STOP HITTING YOURSELF.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be....I suppose it beats him thumping me in the head with his paw.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
He's looking for attention, so give it to him. Mine does similar things like grab my hand or start licking it or pretending to bite it.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wolfie does this too when he wants some loves..

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided last night to make him work. Hubby wasn't home, I cranked on some music and started to straighten up the house. I had a throw that needed washing so I tried to get Hondo to carry it....which turned into a game of tug...then I tied it around his neck and I chased him around the house... he ran around with it like a cape. Then the doxie got involved and was grabbing the tails of the throw and Hondo was dragging her around the house.

I didn't get any house work done. Decidedly, Hondo doesn't have a lick of domestic chores in his bloodline.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My little JRT will do this sometimes if she gets over excited when we come home (just every now and then not every time). It seems to soothe her. She will be very frantic and want to put my forearm in her mouth for just a minute or so - no pressure just holds it and sometimes runs her mouth up and down arm.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh does that to me too, especially after he got shot. He'll come over and hold my wrist in his mouth then slide down to the ground and just lay there with my wrist in his mouth. I figure he just needs the connection on his terms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts