German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed there is an irritation under both of Ditto's front legs (in the area the human's call the armpit.) It is very red. I would even call it almost raw on the one side. There are no bumps.

She has had allergies in the past, all skin/ear/eye related, so this likely stems from it. She has also had infections that were results of her allergies. It just seems weird to me that it is under both of her legs. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any idea what this could be? I tried to get a picture but my camera wouldn't cooperate. She hasn't been biting at the area. I only noticed because I had her lying on her side. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My dog gets that quite a bit. I put Gold Bond Medicated powder on and it clears up. He had it the other day (allergies and I didn't have any powder) and it cleared on it's own.

For skin infections I use Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads from amazon.com.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Cody was sensitive to flea bites and skin would turn red on his belly and armpits. Also when he was a puppy we had this and it was the food.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Forgot to add.....I've used coconut oil on it, as well.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Pits are a damp enviro - prone to yeast and bacteria - can use a spritz of 50/50 organic apple cider vinegar/water - kill bacteria and yeast and balance the PH of the skin.

Witch hazel is a good astringent - find one w/o alcohol

and second the coconut oil (raw cold pressed organic)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dog gets that quite a bit. I put Gold Bond Medicated powder on and it clears up. He had it the other day (allergies and I didn't have any powder) and it cleared on it's own.

For skin infections I use Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads from amazon.com.
I have some of those Pads from a previous infection. I was considering using them on this, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea since it is raw. Do you think that would be okay? It doesn't say not to use on open skin (it isn't really open, but close), but I still get nervous about things like that.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will shave the area to keep the moisture away as best as possible and keep an eye on it. She is itchy (her face) so I will give her some allergy pills and see if it helps with the redness as well.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Rudy is a little raw right now so I jus wiped him with one of those pads. He didn't flinch, so I assume it doesn't sting.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It is an allergic reaction, possibly from heat/moisture or insect bites.

I would choose coconut oil over those chemical wipes. Calendula is also very soothing and Azmira's Rejuva spray works really well for stuff like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts