German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoe has always been a good eater except during her heats where she typically will only eat about 2 cups of kibble and a little home cooked. Last week she finished up her heat and her appetite has come back with a vengeance. She gets 1 1/2 cups of TOTW morning and evening or 1 1/2 cups of Orijen morning and evening- basically whichever we have at the time, and a cup of home cooked mixed in between the two meals. 4 cups of food a day seems like more than enough and always has been until this week.

Suddenly she is scarfing down hers nudging my lab out of his and eating it, trying to steal food from us, and getting into the trash. She hasn't tried to do any of this since she was 6-7 months old. Needless to say she is in big trouble these days;) So today I decided to feed her a little more than usual thinking maybe she is just really extra hungry from not eating well during her three week heat. So miss piggy has had 4 cups of kibble and 2 cups of home cooked today and is still looking for more. She is 14 months now and pretty much done growing so it can't be a growth spurt and she is already a lean 92 pounds- yes lean I can see her last rib and feel all the rest easily, but she is really really hungry- what is going on?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
My dogs are always hungry...doesn't mean they need to eat.
She may be feeling more hungry because of the colder temps.
I would just keep her at the portions you have been and if she is acting famished, then give her smaller meals thru out the day to make up her daily portions. My dogs act really hungry right now too, I know it is the dark days of Winter that are causing it, they are bored and what else is there to do, or maybe I'm putting my feelings into this, I'm always ready to eat too!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL Maybe boredom, but we exercise the same as always and she's never stolen food like this before. She has eaten every single one of my labs meals all week until tonight when she was banished to the crate while he ate and even then he kept stopping and looking at her like "hey you wanna bite"- he's a softie and doesn't mind,lol Then when let out she licked his bowl across the whole kitchen, whined at me, and when I walked away she grabbed her empty bowl and followed me around the house. When I shut my bedroom door to ignore her she began dropping the bowl down the stairs, retrieving it, and doing it all over again. Then I locked the bowl in her crate so now she is whining to get in her crate and she just got 3 cups of food an hour ago. She got 3 cups this morning and treats while training. I can't do a midday meal since I work but maybe two small dinners instead will work?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You said she just finished her heat cycle...maybe she is going to have false pregnancy symptoms and thinks she is feeding for babies??? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no don't scare me,lol that would be no good:( Yes her heat ended on Thursday of last week and her appetite seems to be increasing daily. She was NEVER even in the same room as my male over the last three weeks he was actually at my in-laws after the first week and didn't come back till this weekend, but even a false pregnancy would be a pain. Off to research now thank you:)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Well, if you see her cuddling your sox or her stuffed toys, then she may be going thru a false preg. Let her go thru with it if she is showing symptoms. Keep an eye on her teets, if they swell you'll know for sure!
Take the bowls out of her view so she doesn't focus on them.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
No other signs of EPI?

I would also make sure that the stomach isn't tense and tight, sometimes dogs with stomach problems (bloating, gas, SIBO, pancreatitis, etc.) keeping eating (or drinking) to try to make themselves feel better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts