German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, my pup is almost 12 weeks old but he seems to be tired and not playful. When we want him to fetch he thinks for a while then goes running slowly it is very hot here in Dubai. Could that be the reason? But even indoors he lays on the floor and relaxes. Not sure why. Most of the pups I see are crazy hyper any idea?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello again, my pup is almost 12 weeks old but he seems to be tired and not playful. When we want him to fetch he thinks for a while then goes running slowly it is very hot here in Dubai. Could that be the reason? But even indoors he lays on the floor and relaxes. Not sure why. Most of the pups I see are crazy hyper any idea?
How long have you had him?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did it just start? Has it been significantly hotter? I've noticed with the extreme heat they are more lethargic. However, it could be a numner of things. Does he have his shots? Could he of ate anything abnormal?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He had his shots. But the shot for rabies he should have at the age of 3 months according to the vet so in waiting for him to complete 3 months. Eating is normal. Could it be that his personality is just like that ? A calm dog ? If it's possible to attach a short video here I would attach so you can see. 1 more thing, before purchasing the pup insane a video of him with his pup brother, now the brother was extra hyper but this one is calm. Just for info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah. My Geno was the same way. Takes a while to open up and get used to you. If he doesn't seem sick, eating normally, and not having any diarrhea. He is probably just nervous still. A new home, new sounds, smells, people. Its terrifying to them at that age. Especially if they weren't extremely social to begin with. He will build confidence and you will see a different pup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.. I hope so. I do however prefer calm dogs but this boy doesn't seem to have patience for anyone. He ignores and sits sometimes just like that ?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Has he been wormed? A heavy worm load can make a pup lethargic. Another reason (other than the heat) could be a heart problem. I would get a vet to check him out. Puppies are not normally lethargic!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would be very careful playing fetch with your puppy right now in Dubai. I lived in Dubai for many years, I know how hot it is at this time of year... I would take him outside for small amounts of time about 10 minutes and then bring him inside again, and let him wander around at his own pace, I wouldn't make him run around at all.

He is just a puppy and puppies do like to sleep a lot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He has been wormed. If puppies sleep alot then my worry would be less to be honest. I will take your advise and take him to the vet to check on him. I got him calcium syrup also which was recommended by the vet 2 times a day 5 mm
Mfilbert, your dog is gorgeous

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Definitely take him to the vet whenever you notice a change in behavior that causes concern. This is not an issue to diagnose over the internet. Better safe than sorry, especially when he needs his Rabies vacination soon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Kira, at that age, would just wake up, run a bit, play with us, eat, drink water (all of that was about 20 mins) , then pass out lol. I same was concerned, but now she's 14 weeks and she's awake lot but still had few 1 he naps over day time.
As well now she got used to us, she adapted here. I think she needed time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts