German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major is 10 months and 85 pounds but, still acts very much like a puppy. I've noticed a couple of odd behaviors I think are related.

First, he'll sit in the dinning room looking at the doggy door. It has a clear plastic flap so he can see what is going on in the back yard. When he sees one of the other dogs tries to come inside, not GSDs, he'll hit the flapper with his paw and scare/ confuse the other dogs.

Second, the last couple of times I've come home he'll stay quite, right inside the door. As soon as I start to open the door he'll slap my hand with his paw and run off.

It all seems playful and not at all aggressive. I know he is scary smart. But, practical jokes? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't know about number 1, but my dog DOES practical jokes. Eg. If he is excited or he's bored and wants to play, he will pick up a toy, look at me in the eye, and start jumping or running away from me as I move. And then I just 'pretend' to be chasing him and he will run, freeze, run, freeze... Until I tell them to come and to give the toy to me. He enjoys it very much. I can swear that he laughs the whole time. In contrary to public perception, GSDs R silly like that. As you said, yours is scary smart. He knows how to entertain.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
We don't have a doggy door,but my Gsd will hide behind a tree or in the tall grass and come flying across the yard low to the ground to sneak up on our other dog.Of course she knows he's there but it's a fun game for them.And fun to watch for me:)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My Newlie, God rest his soul, would play tricks on me, too. He loved to try to sneak his "outside" balls in the house and succeeded more often than I like to admit. Once I had the screen door open and made him drop his ball, however he then quickly grabbed it up and tried to run in the house. I used my leg to try to pin him against the door, but was no match for him. So, he stood there on the landing looking at me with the ball in his mouth and I said "You. drop. that. ball. right now, mister." and he immediately complied and then grinned at me.

·
4,488 Posts
I used to hide my boy's Kong Wubah for him to find. Sometimes he would take the toy and hide it for me to find. I guess he felt bad since I couldn't use my nose to find things because after he hid it, he'd stare at it. I guess he figured I needed the help.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
When Griff is bored, he grabs a towel and starts dancing with it. When we laugh he prances harder. And when I tell him "bring", he calmly hands it over. I enjoy him feeling good. He is nicely cooperative these days.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It sounds like he found it very amusing and entertaining to slap at the other dogs at the doggie door so he decided to see if it is as much fun doing it to his human at the human door. Sounds like an invitation to play the "chase me" or the "tag, your it" game.

You must be a fun human for your pup or he wouldn't be inviting you. Lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts