German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately our gsd has been acting weird. Every time my kids pet her she growls and bares her teeth at them yet when they stop she rubs against their hand and acts as if she wants them to pet her. I have a friend who's gsd also does this. Is it normal? What should I do? :confused:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since your friend's gsd does this, it is possible your gsd learned it from the other dog. Growling can also just be a type of talking and doesn't always mean aggression. For the teeth baring, that can also be different again depending on the circumstances. For example, when I give my Sting a good tummy rub, he will stretch out - grunt with pleasure and open up his mouth - I do give him his bear and he will mouth that. My aussie was the same way. But for your kids, since I assume your gsd does not do this with you, I think that your gsd is considering herself the mother and she gives out the pets which is what she does when she rubs against their hands. With summer heat and all, it may be better if when she growls your kids stop petting her - yawn (a calming signal) and walk away. Otherwise, I suspect the growling could get worse.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would monitor this very closely and your kids should never be left alone with this dog. Is it possible you're misinterpreting the teeth being bared? This sounds like a bite waiting to happen. How old is this dog?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
In most cases a growl is a warning. This type of behavior would be unusual for my GSD to display. It would actually be very alarming.

BUT, its really hard to say with limited information.

How old is the dog? How long have you had her? Are the kids acting appropriate around the dog? You said lately to imply this just started happening. What changed in the environment?

Alot of questions..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lilly is about a year and a half old. There hasn't been a change in environment. It just started happening within the last few days but we discovered its not the petting its the kissy noises. She's never been around my friends gsd surprisingly because she lives way down state from us. We've had her since she was five weeks old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In most cases a growl is a warning. This type of behavior would be unusual for my GSD to display. It would actually be very alarming.

BUT, its really hard to say with limited information.

How old is the dog? How long have you had her? Are the kids acting appropriate around the dog? You said lately to imply this just started happening. What changed in the environment?

Alot of questions..
Lilly is about a year and a half old. There hasn't been a change in environment. It just started happening within the last few days but we discovered its not the petting its the kissy noises. She's never been around my friends gsd surprisingly because she lives way down state from us. We've had her since she was five weeks old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts