German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my one year old female GSD has this strange habit of digging.....but not just anywhere. Whenever I see her digging I go out to the spot and every time she has dug down in the ground to the point where she has found a buried tree root. She doesnt dig anywhere else just where there is a tree root under the ground.

Any idea why she does this????

·
Registered
766 Posts
My pup is quite the archaeologist. He has found the old owners buried cat (ewww, we had to clean that up), various planters that were BURIED into the ground, tennis balls that were buried (by previous owners dog), and just last weekend he found barrel rings from a half barrel the previous owner used for planting plants in. He even found me a dino! Okay...so it was a toy but it was still a dinosaur!

Maybe there's something interesting by that root or she's bored? Gunther digs even when we're out there playing with him, he also likes to stick his toys in the dug up hole.

OH! And his digging escalated when to where it is now when we started to see mole hills. No more moles but I think that was kind of a big trigger for him. I'd say though possible boredom or interesting stuff could be it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine 7 month old digs for tree roots too. She digs in the same spot and I have to go refill the hole with dirt almost every day! She never digs when I'm outside with her so I can correct, but if you leave her and her siblings outside for just a few minutes you can come back and she has dug up the same spot!!! The roots are gone now but at least she is consistent with the same area to dig.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Put dog poop in the hole and she should not dig there. Fiona loves her own poop so it does not really work with her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts