German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really isn't a problem as much a question. Our dog duke which we adopted a few months back has started a new behavior. We have a 4 month old infant who has been sick for awhile. She was hospitalized at 8 days old when she quit breathing ( before we got duke) and just a few days ago she got sick again turns out she seems to have bad asthma. Now dukes always been very protective over her when me or other family members move too quickly or obviously not quickly enough in his sense and exspecially around strange people and dogs 3 feet is about his rule. But recently its gotten worse he follows her everywhere I go with her trying to leave with us whining if he cant get to her. Is this normal or not? He does with me and the kids when were sick too not too much my husband as he doesnt like the male gender too much. Just a wonder what ya'lls opinions were on this

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You need to start NILF. Nothing in life is free - NILF - dog training - Article on Pets.ca | Pets.ca

Your duke is 'claiming' the baby, and also starting what appears to be separation anxiety.
I wouldn't be too worried, but I would also be on the 'nip it before it gets bad' wagon. Do NILF, do not allow baby and dog to play unsupervised, etc etc. This is good, he wants to protect you. But do not let him claim you.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I love Duke! But what Death said...start the NLIF, let him know that you determine what's appropriate behavior. He's done such a great job bonding, but you don't want an overachiever!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now on the claiming is that kind of controlling cause hes kind of gotten that way with me lately, basically barking( telling me) when he doesnt like what I'm doing or wanting me to do something even when it doesnt even have anything to do with him. For example when I dont let him go with us he'll bark uncontrollably and push hisself out the door to go and also if I take something from him he's not suppose to have and put where I think he can't reach it he will bark to try and get back or he'll figure a way to get it himself. He hates it when I'm reading or on the phone and throws a huge fit. Even lunged and barked at a strange lady at petsmart for popping her daughter on the hand.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Ok.
I want you to go to your other thread and answer my questions. Your dog needs training, and quick. I would look for qualified, trained trainers in your area. Not petsmart, its a crapshoot. Look for an obediance club or something similar. Anyone in texas around here that can tell him good places?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Petsmart is all we found and I refuse to go there they told me he was very aggressive and shouldn't be around kids so yeah any other ideas of trainers please do tell

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Where in TX are you? I'm in Tyler and belong to the Tyler Obedience Training Club- it's AKC affiliated, lots of experienced trainers and many types of classes. Google obedience training club in your city and see if there's one close enough. If you become a member, classes are usually less than $50- we pay $30 with a $20 membership fee. If you're in a large city there might be a gsd club, or maybe one of the many fellow members here that are from TX can help direct you

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Amariilo in the panhandle theres two other training facilities but they board them for a few weeks and train them, and I honestly want to be there when they're training my dog so I can see how it's so I can do it too. Also want him to be trained by me with guidance from a trainer. Dunno if thats way it should be dont but that's how I'd like it to be done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to add those places start out at $500, kind of steap for me. I'm a full time student with three kids so something alittle more affordable.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I second the no boarding- you do not know what they are doing to 'train' your dog when you are not there. They might be using techniques you dont agree with and its better, much better, for you to be present.
Examples of techniques you might not agree with-some trainers to get their dogs food motivated will withhold, or significantly lesson the amount of food given to the dog a few days before training.
Now, if it was 'not giving a conventional dinner, the dog gets the recommended amount just in a training excersise deal' I would agree-be a little concerned about bloat but agree. Starving an animal for a few days just so it will have more drive is crazy. If you want the dog to be more drivy find a better way.

I would not recommend a boarding training to anyone over any circumstances-the only exception being is if the trainer was your dogs breeder. And even then you should be present.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Awww, Duke. The General. Have you read the novel The Story of Edgar Sawtelle?

I wonder if there is a trainer in your area who can come to your house a few times to get you started on teaching Duke that you're the general, not him?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts