German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am going to make this super short. We went to our basic obedience class, everything was perfect until the very end. We did a long recall and on second round Zeus got close to me pounced and darted to play with other dogs. No big deal, puppy play... he is only 6 month after-all. Few minutes later after class we walked outside and almost 2 seconds later a woman came out with her what looked like a bloodhound and they are from a different class. The dogs did not meet or sniff, he went down the steps and Zeus down the ramp. As soon as we got down, Zeus started barking (yelping type) almost like crying from the bottom of his lungs, pulling in direction of that dog, just being ency and not responding to me or the treats at all. He was pooling so hard on his pinch collar. I could not tell if he was super excited and wanted to play or he was in major distress. I heard him bark many times when someone is at the door, his big boy bark, but this was nothing like it at all! I tried to find samples on youtube, but there is nothing, he was very agitated or excited, but i was so shocked that i don't remember tail wagging i just remember him lifting front paws and whaling from the bottom of his lungs. If anyone have seen any videos of dogs over excited vs very distressed please share, I am just so clueless on what happened.

To stop him I walked him in circles and when the other dog was gone we walked to the car (well he pulled me to the car) and was fine afterwards.

Can another dog set your dog off by not even doing anything.... ?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did not think of that at all and I don't know if it was male or female. Is my boy old enough now to notice this? He will be 7 month on the 7th

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have no idea im a first time GSD owner and mine is only 6 months but ive seen younger then yours hump so maybe? im sure someone more knowledgable will comment. Its the only thing I could think of that would cause such random behavior with different vocalizations then normal.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will write the note to the breeder get her opinion, but this did not cross my mind at all. There are breeders in this club so there is a very good chance that dog was in heat if it was a female, I will see that dog again next week and will ask LOL

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
other dog maybe going into heat?
Maybe. Or maybe the little guy was just overstimulated. It can happen to them, you know.

Did not think of that at all and I don't know if it was male or female. Is my boy old enough now to notice this? He will be 7 month on the 7th
Heck, yes, he is very much old enough.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sunflower, I was just in so much shock, this weird bark/cry and i think our entire city heard him... LOL

I just need to learn to snap him out of it. I was too busy trying to hold on to the other end of the leash! haha!

DSC_0138-3 by TCgraphicDesign, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Interesting, huh?

Hard to say without seeing it myself. But sometimes I don't think we will ever understand what sets some dogs off or why they do certain things.

We were in class. Rusty was about 12 months old. He was sitting next to me and was waiting his turn for the rally course. Several dogs passed and he didn't pay attention to them, then a Doberman passed and Rusty all of a sudden lunged at him, hackles up and barking. I totally didn't see it coming and had my hand relaxed on his lead. Luckily, the owner was quick to get her dog, Rusty did make it to the end of the leash before I could correct him. I have no idea why he did that. The dog was just passing. It seemed like a cheap shot on his end.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Sunflower, I was just in so much shock, this weird bark/cry and i think our entire city heard him... LOL

I just need to learn to snap him out of it. I was too busy trying to hold on to the other end of the leash! haha!

DSC_0138-3 by TCgraphicDesign, on Flickr
Holy gorgeous dog, Batman!
Why is it that I am always shocked when I see pics of puppies that have grown!

:eek:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have no answer for you, but I just have to say what a handsome boy you have!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy gorgeous dog, Batman!
Why is it that I am always shocked when I see pics of puppies that have grown!

:eek:
Haha! it seams like we got him yesterday and where did the puppy go? But than I remember doing my research, selecting the breeder, dealing with puppy tummy problems, finding the right food, the awful biting and I think I cried to you on the phone about it. etc, etc, etc and now I raised this!

Thank you everyone and for all the support =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts