German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Before you give anything recommended on here please consult your vet. There are a lot of great products but you need to be sure dosage wise that you are administering the correct amount. Purina Fortiflora is sold across the counter at vet offices and are extremely safe and affective. It's an item that flies off the shelf. All other holistic supplements can be tricky and actually make matters worse if the wrong amount is given but they can create amazing results if handled responsibly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all.

Walt is 9 months old and is up to date on all vacs.

He was also wormed recently but we believe we left it too long (maybe 2weeks later than normal ) and aren't sure if its now a reason for this loose stools.

Past 4/5 nights he has been producing very loose yellow stools which have been watery and smelly. When you pick them up it's leaving a smear on the ground. The mornings have been closer to normal.

His appetite has been good but we are feeding him at the lower end of the recommended amount as he is picky at times and we are trying to not over feed him. He is 35kg's which is around 75lb's which is around 'normal' for a 36month old dog from what I've read online.

He's been on arden grange large puppy bread from birth.

About 7 weeks ago he swallowed a large stone which resulted in him getting it cut out of him, his recovery went well and his appetite and stools were fine from that. Due to that, we have started to pen him outside when we aren't around, its a very large concreted area with a very large wooden kennel for him to lay in. He wasn't impressed at first but is slowly coming around to it. He is created inside at night time.

He is full of energy and in great mood so I am kind of stumped. I plan to give him rice and chicken for the next day or two to give his stomach a rest but if the stools don't improve then I will take him to the vets.

Is there anything i'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its true that German Shepherds generally have sensitive stomachs. However, if you're feeding a consistent, appropriate diet and aren't feeding your dog table scraps, persistent diarrhea should not happen.

Is the dog still on medications post-surgery? Has the dog had stressful experiences recently (i.e. vet's office)? Has the dog been tested for parasites? All are possible reasons for the stool issues. If so, a probiotic like Purina's Fortiflora might be helpful. As always, consult your veterinarian before doing anything & all that jazz.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts