German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frank is doing really well on all his novice work but has developed one problem he isn't coming in straight for his front on the recall.
When I call him in unless I direct him in to the front position in some way he automatically swings and sits in heel position at my side.
I made a chute for him to sit between when he fronts and he'll do it then but if I take the chute away he swings to the side.
I've also tried having him in front of me and backing up a few steps and calling him in, if I get more then 5 steps from him he tries to swing to the side.
Any ideas on things I can try would be greatly appreciated!
Frank is 11 months and doing great in all but this one thing.
Thanks

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Are you rewarding him when he comes in? I would go back a step to food in your mouth or a ball tucked under your chin for this(as he sits front, wait a bit before rewarding). Work along a wall so he can't get into heel position. I was having the same issue a couple weeks ago and we had to back step a few times before he understood what I wanted.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry forgot to mention, I reward with food treats that he loves.
I hadn't thought of the ball under the chin he loves those I'll give it a try.
He always swings to the left side where he's supposed to be in perfect postion. He just leaves the front out.
The chute helps keep him in front like the wall would.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I seldolm put fronts and finishes together. I Have the dog front. Then reward with food from my mouth with both hands. A ball can bring the focus to your face too. If feeding from the hands...use both hands. Generally, i have food in mouth and reach up with both hands and bring down to dog.

I usually do a second short back uo front also. The dog then thinks the next thing after front, is front.

I seldom finish from a front. If I want to work finishes then I have the dog sit. I step in front of dog and ask for finish. This helps keep the anticipation and automatic finishing to a minimum.

Also, I teach both a right and left finish. This way the dog can not anticipate so much which direction the finish will be in.

Good fronts take lots of repetition and time. I sit the dog off at varios angles so they learn to move the rear and get straight. A front box can help too. It takes a number of reps before the straight is muscle memory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts