German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multiple times I have heard GSD's referred to as either a straight back or a sloped/angled back. What is the difference between the two, besides the obvious shape of the dog? I have attached a picture of my almost 2 year old, Ollie. This was taken 2 weekends ago. Is he what you would call a straight back? Is the back a hereditary thing or can a litter of GSD's consist of both types?

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the newbie question.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Those are two extremely uneducated statements that people make when they don’t know any better. Basically “straight back” started as a marketing term in order to move away from the more sloped and in some cases extremely sloped show lines from a decade or longer ago. It’s an extremely incorrect statement as most people don’t understand why the back looks either straight or sloped in pictures. What most people mean by straight is that the back is parallel to the ground, which is actually not correct as per the breed standard especially when the dog is in movement which a “stack” is trying to replicate. Most GSD can be made to either look like their back is parallel to the ground (like your dog in that picture) or with a slight slope in the back from the withers to the hips. If you were to just move your dog’s feet back 6-12 inches, you’ll see how your dog is also capable of a sloped back. I'm actually going to say that your dog isn't standing "naturally" in that picture and the back feet should be farther back which would produce a more natural and comfortable stance and also a slanted back.

A lot of people think that because the majority of dog breeds have backs parallel to the ground, that it must be the healthiest way. Many also equate a slanted back to hip health. None of these things are true and only a complete understanding of the anatomy and the conformation of the GSD can help someone understand why the angles in the back legs are the way they are, why the dogs move the way they do, and why they appear the way they do in pictures.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
As I discovered. I always thought Luc's back was good because it looks 'straight' but he has slight roaching as per our chiropractor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, makes sense. I had seen multiple comments about the backs in this forum so I was a little confused on that topic. Thanks for clearing it up!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
A roach, is when the highest point on the dog's back isn't the withers. So it looks like the dog's back goes up from the neck, and then down to the hips.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that a common thing with GSD's? Does it usually show up at a certain age? Will you be able to see it simply by looking at the dog?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
No, this is something that IMO is incorrect and it is genetic. If you stretch out your dog, keep their head level or even raised, you'd be able to see it if your dog has it. It's there basically from birth.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
^what Max said.

Also, do a search on this site for the term "roach" and you'll find quite a bit of info, with pics and discussions in more detail.

Is that a common thing with GSD's? Does it usually show up at a certain age? Will you be able to see it simply by looking at the dog?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thing you clarified! I was about to go buy a saddle and throw my niece and nephew on his back and let him carry them around!!!!! :D

No worries, I can handle a little joke

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
The back of a GSD should be strong and firm and have some slope because they should have a nice high wither. I've seen photos with "level backed" dogs that are actually sway-backed and that is *not* correct for this breed. The angle of the slope will differ depending on how the dog is put together overall (how high is the wither? angulation in the rear, length and lay of the croup, etc). Many GSDs have toplines that are straight *and* sloped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I just bought a German shepherd and I was wondering if her back is normal. I’m very upset because I’m worried about her. Please lmk if my dogs spine is ok!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts