German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a GSD, I've noticed lots of the European show line have sloped backs. Are straight back GSDs found more in the working lines ? Would the attached picture be considered straight back?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
they are probably all straight backed the pics of dogs with sloped backs are stood or stacked that way on purpose. Left to stand square, all four feet under their body like they picture shown will have straight backs. The same dog can be stood in many different poses to make it look different. Great looking dogs can look awful in some pics, as can people. Sloped backs will have 1 rear leg back and the other bent and forward right under the dog, almost the splits in the rear, so if they stood like that and had a straight back think how weird they would look relaxed.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
None of them have "sloped backs", what gives that appearance is the length and position of the rear leg bones and the pelvis.

German showlines tend to have angulation more similar American showlines but generally not as exaggerated as some. Most German showline dogs have some degree of a "roach back".

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Does anyone have pictures to show the comparison with the different "types" of dogs stacked and then just standing normally?
This may, or may not, help answer that question. If anything- it's better than nothing... :toasting:

[EDIT- BTW- isn't the dog at 0:55 amazing looking!?]

Reactions: ausdland and Chip18

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm not an expert but I see more working lines with "straight" backs then showlines

·
Registered
3,863 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Straight back GSD

This may, or may not, help answer that question. If anything- it's better than nothing... :toasting:
YouTube - History of the change in the german shepherd over the years

[EDIT- BTW- isn't the dog at 0:55 amazing looking!?]
I'm in UK took two years to find a dog like that and I did, by sheer luck in the end. Mine is a dead ringer for the dog at 0.55 even down to colouring. Beau is extremely old fashioned type German Shepherd - big boy big boned big klutz of 15 mths. I'm a very proud mum and would love to find a bitch in the UK to perpetuate this size and shape. I have nothing but sympathy for the dogs with roach backs, which are getting worse with each generation.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Here are some square stance shots versus stacked shots of the same dog in all four photos

Reactions: RZZNSTR

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
you can't tell if a dog is pure or mixed on that criteria, even moreso with puppies who often go through some strange and awkward growth spurts. As someone commented on another of your posts, it's his coloring that screams "not a purebred"

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
that color yes. but the leg markings scream "not purebred" white toes aren't uncommon but those pale cream legs on a dark dog

1 - 20 of 26 Posts