German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stosh's eye has the vets scratching their heads- his eye is still dilated since the e-vet dilated it on Sunday night. It won't go back down to normal. The cornea has that blueish look because of the swelling so it's hard to see in it. Our vet sent us to another vet today so he could take pressure readings on the eyeball itself and it's normal which is good, but he thinks the lens might have moved and is in the wrong place now- but he can't tell for sure. He said it's all very odd and that there's no way Stosh should be alive. He was thinking there might be two entry wounds- one on the face and one on the neck but my vet saw the path the bullet took- in the face on the left and out the neck on the right. There's lots of important stuff between those two spots and nothing seems to be damaged- incredible. Now we just wait until the swelling in the cornea goes down so they can get a better look. There is an opthalmic vet in Dallas that can put the lens in the right position if that's what it turns out to be. The vets just keep saying "Interesting case". I would prefer simple and boring

Stosh has a good appetite but is having a bit of trouble chewing kibble- a lot of it drops out of his mouth. Which is also curious since there's no damage to his teeth. Maybe his jaw is sore.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
He must have some real sore jaw muscles. If the bullet went in his face and out his neck it must have left a hole somewhere in his jaw/mouth.
Best wishes for a FAST and complete recovery!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Have they considered nerve damage? Did it tear muscles? Is the inflammation putting pressure on something? Did the bullet crack his jaw?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bullet never entered his mouth, apparently it just went under the skin and didn't actually 'hit' anything.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
poor Stoshy!!! hoping for the best with his eye

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sunlight does bother him a bit and he really can't see out of that eye because it's so dilated. It's got to be bugging him- he's on drops for pain relief

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was so hoping for something truly positive for you and Stosh as I know the waiting and the unknown are the hardest part to get through. At least they are not sating he will lose sight in that eye, so that is good! Hopefully surgery will not be needed after the swelling does go down. Poor guy...going through any of this especially the way it happened is just so sad!

My prayers will continue for you both!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Continuing to lift Stosh and his humans in prayer ... :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
May have massive bruising. You know a bullet or knife wound is forced through the skin etc and that leaves bruising in those areas. maybe try feeding him baby food or ground up or pureed food for awhile. Have you heard back yet from your idiot neighbor? You know, something like "I'm so sorry I stupidly shot your dog and risked the life of everyone around me by idiotically firing a weapon without knowing what it might hit."

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! For some reason when I was in the other vet's office waiting for him to come in to test the eye pressure, it all kind of hit me at once. Stosh obviously knew I was upset and when this strange vet walked into the room Stosh barked at him and wouldn't let him come near me. He's never ever done anything like that before! The vet recognized that he was just protecting me and when I walked to the other side of the room, he was fine and behaved beautifully. Even though he had two people putting lights in both eyes, and poked an instrument directly on the surface of his eyes. I think we're both frazzled!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Poor baby! I'm wondering, has the neighbor offered to cover any of the costs involved? I'm sorry if you've mentioned this elsewhere.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We haven't talked to the neighbor yet. My husband's on a business trip and gets back tonight so he's going over there tomorrow. He wanted to wait until he calmed down a bit and we had a better idea of what the injuries are. I doubt he'll offer to pay anything and I seriously doubt my husband would take a dime from the guy and let him feel better. My husband is a big guy and has no problem communicating but he hasn't told me exactly what he's going to say. I probably don't want to know.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to you guys. I have to say you seem to be holding it together very well, which is certainly important for Stosh. Give him lots of big hugs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bet he has TMJ from the swelling - poor poor boy :( I definitely would notify not only police but any media outlets - quite story - and if bozo neighbor doesn't pay - maybe local news could do a story and request donations?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If he's having a little trouble eating kibble have you tried softening it with a bit of water so he doesn't have to try so hard?

The whole story is just amazing....

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
He is certainly in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My Dad once got an eye infection that caused swelling. It was
just like Stosh...eye stuck dilated and he couldnt see much out
of it. Light bothered him but he really couldnt see anything.

They treated with antibiotics for the infection and Prednisone
for the swelling. Once the swelling went down he was fine and
could see fine.

So hopefully once they get the swelling down Stosh will be OK.
Hang in there...

Woofs from me and Abby...

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have softened the food and that does help but he doesn't really like it that way. Guess he'll have to get used to it. I feel so bad because I didn't read the prescription properly- he has 5 of them- and I've only been giving him the pain med every 24 hrs instead of every 12. Now that he's on the proper does maybe he'll feel better. Is it too early for a glass of wine??

1 - 20 of 73 Posts