German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our idiot neighbor through the woods said he thought Stosh was a wolf and emptied his pistol at Stosh. Stosh was hit in the muzzle just below his eye. My husband was yelling for him to stop shooting after the first shot, he heard me screaming for Stosh. We drove around to his property and called Stosh, he came out of the woods and we raced to the e-vet who said Stosh was extremely lucky. He has his eye, all of his teeth, his jaw wasn't fractured but we can't find an exit wound. The e-vet gave vitamin K to clot the blood, an antibiotic and pain med. Stosh was very steady, head up, obedient, strong heartbeat and good air intake, so he sent us home and we'll go to our vet first thing in the am for xrays. Stosh even wagged his tail when we got home, he's such a good pup. Poor thing, his GCG tag is covered in blood. I was hanging in there but now I'm a wreck. I'll update after we see our vet in the morning. Send good thoughts and prayers please!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
OMG! Poor Stosh! My heart is breaking for the poor baby. Thank God it wasn't worse. Stosh is in my prayers tonight. Wolfie sends his get well wishes too.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Shot your dog??? Wow. Are you on farm land and he was protecting his stock? Is this kind of thing considered "normal" to just start firing a gun at something that somewhat resembles a wolf???

Did you see it happen? What did your neighbor have to say about this???

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
$#@%^%$#$%^^!!!!! Hunters!!! How stupid can they be?? Or downright mean! Saying a prayer for Stosh - poor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's unclear where it took place- our properties border each other divided by a creek. My husband was on our deck grilling and Stosh was with him, the neighbor's dog was running in the creek and Stosh ran over to see who it was because it was dark- my husband called Stosh but the shot started- the first shot he yelled but the guy kept shooting. In TX it's legal to shoot anything on your property and he said he thought it was a wolf fighting with his dog. Stosh is a log-coated black and red so he isn't your usual gsd appearance. The guy never said he was sorry, just that he didn't realize it was someone's pet and he seemed to feel bad but we were too busy getting Stosh in the truck to interact other than me yelling 'I can't believe you shot my puppy'. I'm sure we'll be paying him a visit but first I want Stosh taken care of. There's probably nothing we can do legally because it's Texas after all. I just want my dog to be ok, then I'll worry about making this guy's life miserable

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
What an idiot. There haven't been wolves in East Texas in a hundred years. Praying for Stosh's safe and speedy healing.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, there's a lot of woods so it's hard to see into each others' property but the guy has a large deck overlooking our property. I think he just really wanted to shoot his gun so he did. Thank God he's not a better shot. Thanks for all the good thoughts, I'm just so glad he isn't hurt any worse

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
So sorry to hear about Stosh but so glad he will be alright!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Wow... were the dogs even fighting? How far off of your property did stosh go? I mean, you said he was just outside with your husband while he was grilling. How far could he have possibly went?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Glad Stosh is OK. Your neighbor should be more careful. I understand people have a right to shoot trespassing dogs but that's a little extreme, and like you say apparently he's not a good shot. I was once riding in a vehicle on a major interstate and we got hit with some idiot's poorly aimed shot. If it had been 4 inches lower it would have gone in my left temple. If people are so eager to be shooting then at least shoot at a known target you can see.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have about 8 acres, some woods some pasture and the guy was on his deck looking into our woods when he shot. My husband said the dogs were barking but not snarling or fighting- the guy had a houseful of guests, went out onto his deck and maybe decided to show off and shoot at the 'wolf' in the woods. Trust me, everyone in his house and the surrounding houses heard that he shot my puppy. Thankfully our e-vets are good, Stosh is resting on his bed as best he can, occasionally snorting out some blood but doing the best as can be expected. What a horrible experience. I'm so hoping our vet will give us encouraging news in the morning

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would report him to the authorities, not for shooting your dog but for reckless endangerment of YOU. If it was dark, and he couldn't see what he was shooting at, he could not possibly determine if it was safe to shoot. What if he had hit you or your husband? I honestly think you need to get the police involved. This kind of reaction by your neighbor is inexcusable.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I'm just speechless!!! What a first class MORON that guy is!!! Good thoughts to Stosh, so glad it looks like he will be okay.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will call tomorrow. But in TX you're within your rights to shoot anything on your property. You're right though, he could have shot one of us, we were right behind Stosh and I'm not sure he even left our property. I do want to report the shooting even if they say there's nothing they can do/

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh my...thats terrible. Hope that Stosh is going to be OK.

As a gun owner I hate when idiots do things like this.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that's what I was wondering- if the dogs were fighting he certainly wouldn't have taken a shot- or 6. I can see shooting to scare something off but he obviously was hoping to kill the wolf or whatever he claims he thought Stosh was. Like wolves bark- or live in East Texas. I'm just so upset I haven't tried to figure out his reasoning, other than he had 6 shots and wanted to use them. The only thing he said was "I didn't think it was somebody's pet". Now he knows

1 - 20 of 182 Posts