German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear GSD Members,

We are heading to the vet for x-rays since our 6 year old sable boy is showing levels of hip discomfort.

You can tell he's putting much of his weight on his front legs especially when he needs to get up from a down position. He cannot walk the distances he used to. And, the weird part is he still wants to go out multiple times per day and play fetch in our back yard, which we do not allow.

He still walks, but you can tell it does not look completely natural. In the past, I started noticing that he leaned often to one side when he was sitting. And, from an early age on, he did not feel comfortable getting across some of the tile/wood flooring. So, I'm not sure if this relates to his hips.

I understand that x-rays will tell us more, but if you would like to share your story with us that perhaps has some similarities that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ps. Both of our GSDs are on a barf diet and have not had calcium supplements.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
No hip story to share, but wanted to note how helpful it is to see the sometimes subtle differences in our dogs movement and pick up on potential issues. I struggle in this area. I can sometimes see a change a movement, but can't idntify the cause unless it's obvious. Hope the vet visit goes well.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My boy started displaying signs and symptoms recently. He's 8. Limping, weight shift which is very obvious when standing, he puts most of his weight on his left leg, exercise intolerance. My boy does a good job of self limiting so chasing a slow ground ball a couple times isn't what it use to be (gave it his all is now give what I can) and he will rest a while then later ask for another. depending on how he seems to be feeling determines whether dh will throw again.

How did the vet visit go? I hope better than you expected.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an 8 month puppy that has HD but showed no hip discomfort. I only realized something was up because I could feel his hip click if I had my hand on his rear end and it sometimes makes a loud popping sound.

I am wondering how this would turn out regarding discomfort as he ages if I decide not to do surgery. I have a feeling it would just degenerate and the discomfort would gradually show or perhaps he will dislocate his hip :O It is sad to hear about how the hip discomfort may show up down the road :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts