German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2 year 4 month old male resuce GSD. He has been nutered. We both work so we are not at home during the day, and he has now found out he can jump the fence and get out of the yard. Our neighbor said he was out about 3 hours yesterday. I am concerned he may get hit by a car or damage someones property.

What suggestions to stop this behavior. We have started obeidence training, but not being at home I am not sure what to do with this behavior.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
It's easy - don't leave the dog outside when you aren't home.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with why this is so very bad an idea.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
So Agree
The only time mine are outside is when I am home
I would Never leave any dog outside unattended

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
OK, since no one else is saying WHY a dog shouldn't be left outside unsupervised

1. They can jump over your fence and get hurt or hurt someone

2. They can dig holes under the fence and get out, get hurt or hurtsomeone

3. People walking around might throw rocks or whatever when he's barking at them. Suddenly you have a dog who's agressive towards people outside your fence and you have no idea why.

4. It's boring being outside alone. What trouble is he going to get into?

5. How would you know if he's not out there terrorizing the neighbors and barking all day. This could get to be very expensive if your animal control officer gets involved and fines you.

Just don't do it. If the dog is destructive inside, get him a crate.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Craigslist is a good place to get one used for short money.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
A question, because I also have a jumper. However mine just goes to the front door and waits for me. The dog is a rescue I am fostering.

First, have you considered adding a kennel, and if the dog can clear that, put a top on it. Of course the surface can't be dirt, because the dog could easily dig out.

I am retired and only have a part time job. But my dogs prefer being outdoors, so I purchased a kennel of about 400 square feet and five feet high. The base is concrete, but unfortunately the rescue manages to get over the top of the fence. For now, the dog stays in the house, but adding a roof is being considered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes we are considering getting a Kennel, started pricing them yesteday, I think that may be part of the solution, the other is finding time to exercise him. Since we both work we don't have time in the morning getting him out to exercise so we have the evening only to work with him. Also thinking of taking him to doggie daycare once or twice a week.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
One last comment about a kennel. The new ones are very expensive and I was not inclined to spend over $1,000 for a foster dog who might well be adopted shortly.

So I went to Craig's list and Ebay, and found a very nice kennel for about $200. When it comes to kennels, the quality and ease of setting up are also important, and I was lucky to get a darn good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts