German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both Thor (GSD) and Kona (non-GSD) have been on Nupro for about 6 months. Initially they both loved it, but will not eat their food now, if the supplement is on it. Went back to store where I usually buy all their food, supplements, etc. The owner gave me a brand new bottle to try and called the company to see if there have been any changes to the formula or if they have had any other complaints. No to both questions. I tried the new bottle, Kona refused it completely. Thor ate his food slowly the first time I tried the new bottle, then the second meal with the Nupro, he flat out refused. I loved the effect the supplement had on them, too many to list, but it was fantastic! Any suggestions for another whole food supplement to try? Thor has issues with grain, so both dogs ate on a grain free food. Thor also has what we believe are environmental allergies, but the Nupro seemed to alleviate them completely, so I am looking for a supplement that will help with skin and coat. Our dogs don't have GI issues, so a probiotic isn't my first priority, but I certainly don't have an issue with a supplement that has probiotics in it. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Addendum to my first post, as my iPad won't let me edit my original post: the owner of the dog supply store recommended Animal Essentials, Organic Green Alternative herbal supplement, as a new option. Anyone know of it, or have experience with it?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I don't know anything about supplements or grain free, etc., but I put a tablespoon of wheat germ and a tablespoon of ground milled flaxseed on Wolfie's food every meal. His coat is fabulous and he has no skin issues.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
just a quick question, are you watering down your dog food when you add the nupro?

I make kind of a gravy with it, my dogs love the stuff , I'd say Missing Link as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas everyone, nice to have some other options to try, without going at things blindly.

I am watering down the Nupro to make a gravy. The dogs absolutely went nuts for their food for the last 5.5 months, and then about 1.5 weeks ago they didn't want to eat, or only ate 1/2 of their meals. Everything else was normal and they had appetites, just not for their food. As soon as I gave them their kibble dry, they went right back to eating, no problem. So strange. :confused:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I am using the Nupro powder. But at a lower than recommended dose. I mix in some cottage cheese and that seems to help. I have a feeling that my dog will get bored with it too and I will be left with that huge container of it. She hasn't eaten much for the past couple of days but I think that is due to the change to TOTW fish formula.
Glad your dogs are back to eating.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pat,

My dogs are on TOTW, fish formula and Bison/Venison formula. I mix equal amounts for each feeding. Did TOTW make a change to the fish formula? Strange, as when I feed the dogs their dry kibble, they are happy to eat. Only with the Nupro added do they act like I am trying to poison them. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Pat,

My dogs are on TOTW, fish formula and Bison/Venison formula. I mix equal amounts for each feeding. Did TOTW make a change to the fish formula? Strange, as when I feed the dogs their dry kibble, they are happy to eat. Only with the Nupro added do they act like I am trying to poison them. :rolleyes:
Mine is also on TOTW, fish formula and Bison/Venison formula but going to fish. She doesn't seem to like it, but it's early and she might just be having an off day. ......... or Nupro doesn't go well with fish .......

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha. Hope Abby is not becoming unhappy with Nupro. Maybe it doesn't go well with fish, ugh, the things we go through for our dogs. ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wolfiesmom,
Where do you get your ground flaxseed from? I searched online and there are a lot of choices and was wondering where you buy yours? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts