German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if there is anyone here that remembers us anymore, but thought I would stop in and say hello anyway. I haven't been on much since I moved to Oregon last July.

We survived the winter. The dogs loved the snow...me, not so much! I mean it wasn't horrible, but it was cold for a long time. I adapted okay and spent time taking my dad in for cataract surgeries. First time in my life I drove in snow without having panic attacks. I owe that to living in a town that is flat, and to studded tires!

After giving the dogs a good grooming and hair cuts last spring in anticipation of moving to a warmer climate, it all grew back as needed for the winter, and last month I took them in for another grooming. I was disappointed in the job the lady did. Not sure if anyone remembers how I did Nadia last year, but this "professional groomer" did worse than that on both of my dogs. Never again.

Now that the weather is warming up, we are spending more time outside. The dogs immediately accepted this as home when we moved, and let everyone walking by know they are here. I do not like them constantly barking at people passing by so have been working on that.

Nadia has always been unsure of people visiting and has always been nippy. She is definitely getting better. She LOVES my dad and has finally stopped nipping at my brother's heels (we live with him). It took her all winter to get over that with him and now she adores him too.

Zisso is getting better about fireworks I guess. We heard some for the first time the other night and he didn't react at all. He does not like thinder though. He is still my cuddle bug, and gets away with being my 'Chicken Little' at times.

The cats are fine too! Keekers is 13 years old and spoiled as ever. Pepe spends most of his time outside. He recently sprayed in my bedroom 2x's and got in big time trouble for that.

I have applied for work every where I can think of and have had one interview, which was 3 weeks after I got here, and one call from a recent application, and nothing since. This small town is not real nice to 'outsiders' when it comes to hiring. Of course I am 55 years old too (56 later this month)so that doesn't help a lot.

Meanwhile to keep myself busy I have gotten into crafting some, and I am working hard to make a business out of painting vintage furniture. It is really popular in many places so I gathered some pieces and painted them, then had a yard sale to see how it went here. I was almost getting doscouraged before my sale, so when I sold out in two hours I was on cloud 9! Now I am working on building up my inventory again, painting and so on, getting ready for the Miner's Jubilee next month. I want to knock their socks off! I get most of my pieces at the auction and watch yard sales for neat stuff too. Doing all this on an unemployment budget and still paying bills, buying groceries for myself and my brother, etc is tough, but I manage.

I moved here to be here when my parents need help. I have been available 24/7 for them. They both had cataract surgeries over the winter. My dad has had episodes of 'fainting' off and on. Last month I had a trip planned to go to Washington, and Montana. My grandson was graduating from high school, and I couldn't bare to miss it. I went to my son's in WA, and then his family & I went to MT. It was an awesome trip. From there I went to see my girls; spent another 5 days with my oldest daughter.

But the day my son & all left WA to head to MT, my brother called to let me know dad was in hospital. He had fainted again at the Senior Center. Docs were saying he needed pacemaker. Brother told me he would handle things while I continued on my trip, and not to worry. I got daily updates on dad's condition. Brother did great at taking care of things!

I came home from WA on June 2. Had 14 hours at home, then took mom and dad to Boise, ID for dad's pacemaker surgery on June 3. Mom and I got a room and we brought dad home one June 4. He feels better and has not been getting light headed and not fainted since getting it.

Now that I am home and settled I am collecting furniture, caring for folks and enjoying my dogs n cats. It was nice to travel but is just as nice to be at home.

Hope you all are doing great! Thanks for reading, and sorry for the winded post!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Sounds like you are settling in nicely..........I'm glad everything is going well for you.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I remember reading about your move. I am glad all is going well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts