German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hear you Middle...and I do have a lot of fun with my dogs. What I meant by invitation was simply that I don't want her to think she has trained me...know what I mean?

She is one happy dog thats for sure...its just that sometimes I don't want that ball (sometimes wet, sometimes muddy, dirty) shoved into my legs or lap.

Best advice I've heard is to put the ball away when <u>I'm</u> tired of playing.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Barb, I doubt the dog has trained you. For example you know when the animal is fed, when the dog goes potty. and I suspect your dog follows you and looks for advice on your reactions. Everyting is based in what you do.

Finally, a happy dog is a good dog, so if the dog wants to play you can decide by either putting the ball away or giving in.

In either case, not a problem.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Timber1. Its true...she does follow me and looks to me for "what's next" all the time. Yesterday, we were walking from the front of the house to the back of the house...she was in front and she had her head turned toward me but continued walking. Poor thing ran right into a column in the process, and bonked her face. Ouch!

She looked at me like..."I meant to do that."

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
that is so true...Zeus is so ball crazy it is unreal...He is so bad that when he comes for a pet or any type of affection a ball is in tow with him. He's good though if I tell him in a stern voice and say enough point my finger to go away he walks away with it. His ball craziness is so bad that he has to take any type of ball from the other dog and bring it back to me. He tries to do it with Electra but she just runs circles around him and he gets fed up and tries and finds another toy or ball to bring to me

Its real annoying at times but he knows his limits

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
I see what you are saying and for you putting the ball away until you want to play with him is probably a good idea.

Max is ball nuts too. He has free access to his toys all the time. I do insist that he puts them away after playing with them. He is pretty good about it. All I have to say is pick up toys and he will one by one pick them up and put them in their basket.

He does the ball in the lap thing to me too. My livingroom opens up to a good sized foyer and hallway so I toss the ball to him inside a lot as well. If he brings his ball up to me and I don't want to play, as soon as I spot him coming towards me I say NO firmly and he knows this means I am not into playing right now. He lays down, puts his head on the floor and lets out a big sigh
He looks so cute that it makes me want to play with him. I won't do it right away. I will wait 10 or 15 minutes or even a half hour so that he learns that I mean it when I say NO and to prevent this very smart dog into KNOWING he can manipulate me.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Ilan, the foster who stayed home, is ball crazy as well. We used to use it in situations when I didn't think she could handle herself. As a result, I began to get the ball shoving too. I can't tell you how many nights I've awakened to find a ball next to my pillow, and Ilan staring at it intently. I chose to ignore it completly. It took a little while, but as long as I didn't mark the behavior at all, she simply learned that it would get no repsonse unless I iniated it. My cue with Ilan now is "Where is your Ball?" No matter how annoying the game, be sure that you give it to them sometimes, on their terms. It's their way of having fun.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts