German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure she is trying to initiate play, but the most annoying thing is when she shoves the ball onto me. I have tried several things to modify this rude behavior. When I'm sitting, I've tried: blocking her with my forearm and saying "nooo ball." It does work; she knows what I mean. She'll take her ball and go lay down. But, 5 minutes later, she's back. Sometimes it gets so annoying, I simply take it from her and put it up. But, I'd rather not have to do that.

What I would like is for her to come by invitation only. I ask her to bring the ball, give it to me, then we play. Am I dreaming?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

She is 19 months old, just altered last Monday and I've had her since she was 7 weeks...(if all that makes any difference).

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Ha, I have two that do this to me. If I don't want to play I tell them in a stern voice to go on. It may take a couple of times to get it through to them but they eventually do stop.
This is outside since my dogs don't have balls in the house.

If that's your only dog problem, consider yourself lucky!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
OMG mine is the same way

High ball drive.
Usually I say no and the look I get is like I stabbed him.

Or I say last time and throw it and he usually lies down where ever he catches it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You keep the ball and whip it out only when you want to play with it. I don't let my dogs keep their toys once I decide I don't want to play anymore. It really makes the toy special and can be used as a training treat instead of food.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Originally Posted By: DanoYou keep the ball and whip it out only when you want to play with it. I don't let my dogs keep their toys once I decide I don't want to play anymore. It really makes the toy special and can be used as a training treat instead of food.
I agree but it does depend on the dog. I have one who is crazy for the ball when training even if she had it in her possession all day.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the thing I always have in my mind is that I don't want to be trained by her to play ball, you know what I mean? Another thing I do is say "enough" and she will stop for a while....go off and play with the ball by herself. Then, I guess she thinks I may have forgotten and she tries again.

Yeah, I'd have to say this is the only annoying behavior that I'd really like to change. She is managed pretty strictly, IOW, there aren't many times that I don't have my eyes on her to make sure she doesn't get into trouble. They can be pretty destructive at this age, right? That's a statement, not a question.

I could continue to put the ball away, but I'd like her to understand that when I don't want it...go away, and do something else. Poor mistreated Heidi.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Easiest solution.. Take all toys away while she's in the house! That way you don't get annoyed or frustrated with her/him.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally Posted By: chruby
Originally Posted By: DanoYou keep the ball and whip it out only when you want to play with it. I don't let my dogs keep their toys once I decide I don't want to play anymore. It really makes the toy special and can be used as a training treat instead of food.
I agree but it does depend on the dog. I have one who is crazy for the ball when training even if she had it in her possession all day.
I know what you mean. Both my dogs think the ball is special no matter what I do. That means you are ahead of the game.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She only gets toys when I divvy them out...she doesn't have free reign to toys. But when she IS allowed to play with toys...she insists on shoving the ball into my legs.

But, maybe my allowing her to play with the balls (by herself) giving her the freedom to make her own decision in how to play is my downfall. Maybe what I'm hearing you say is bring the ball out, play with it WITH her, then put it up. Yes?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Quote: Maybe what I'm hearing you say is bring the ball out, play with it WITH her, then put it up. Yes?
Yes!

Just makes life a little simpler.. And that way everyone is happy!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Rocky will do the same thing and if we take the ball away he gets the message. He will do anything for the ball. (Wonder if I can teach him to vaccum? LOL) His other favorite things is to drop the ball at our feet and sit there and use his telepathic powers to make the ball move. LOL If we move in any direction the ball gets picked up, dropped at our feet, and stared at some more.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I put Brady's ball away after dinner
Take it out in the morning
But once I put it away he finds something else
He knows the ball means fun play time woo hoo!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:Then, I guess she thinks I may have forgotten and she tries again.

My guess is by then the dog's forgotten. They live in the now, and ALWAYS want to play.

Mine will go find a pine cone if there are no balls...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: DSuddHis other favorite things is to drop the ball at our feet and sit there and use his telepathic powers to make the ball move. LOL If we move in any direction the ball gets picked up, dropped at our feet, and stared at some more.
I could deal with that...not nearly as rude.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Gunner does this, too. He'll bring me the ball, drop it in my lap and if I ignore him, he picks it up and literally tosses it at me (like maybe I didn't see it the first time - lol) and if that doesn't work, he'll pick it up, put his front paws on me and shove the ball right into my face. He can be pretty persistent. He will go lay down with it if I sound serious enough when I tell him to do so, but the whole process usually repeats itself every ten minutes or so.

If it bothers you, I would do what the other poster suggested and only bring the ball out when you want to play with her. Put it away when you're done.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I guess Apollo is an oddball; leave a tennis ball on the floor and he'll pick up another toy in his mouth and start batting the ball around with his paws. He does have his rare moments when he REALLY wants to play and he'll do what Heidi does, but like I said, it's rare.

Zeus right now if I through the ball, he just likes running away with it.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Invitation only, you may be dreaming. If you want to play ball with the dog, great. If not put the ball away. One of my shepherds does the same thing, and perhaps I give in too often.

But darn, the dog is having fun and I see nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Oooh boy. I didn't read all the responses but my thought is what the heck?

What is wrong with the dog initiating play? What is wrong with responding to the dog's drive? If you don't do this, what message are you sending to the dog?

Loosen up! This dog/human co-habitation thing should be a mutual arrangement.... Go have fun with the dog and sometimes do it on the dog's terms. You'll have a more responsive dog.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
With mine, I figure they are bored or not getting enough exercise. A healthy dose of each solves a myriad of problems.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I haven't read through all the replies yet but if anyone figures it out....let me know
If it isn't a ball, it's a squeaky toy or wubba or bo-bo or piggies or hedgehogs.....you get the picture

1 - 20 of 28 Posts