German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he never did it as a pup, now hes 5 months and he just inhales his food in a minute hes not starving thats for sure he still gets 2 meals a day and he has around a kilo a day

i put it in the bowl and bang its gone, he doesnt snatch and do it if i hand feed him treats but he does still swallow it down fast

:help:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A couple of cheaper options that don't require changing his food dish are:

1.) Soak his kibble in water. Put in the normal amount you feed and then fill the bowl with water. (works for some, others just inhale the water too lol)

2.) Put tennis balls or larger raquet-type balls in the bowl. Depending on the size of the bowl, 2 or 3 should do it. They tend to push the balls around to get to the food. Slows them down drastically. (works for some, others just remove the balls and eat quickly anyway)

Personally, I would try one of these before having to buy a different bowl.
:) Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
There are absolutely things you can do to help. Changing the bowl (using a round baking bundt pan sometimes helps) and also the one in the video above is supposed to be good.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
You can put a piece of heavy chain on the bowl. It worked better for me because Diabla learn't to take off other objects, like big rocks. Tennis balls don't work if the dog like to play with them.

Right now I use just water, I put a finger or so of water covering the food right before serving. Do not let it soak, it atracts bacteria and is bad for the teeth.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
If it is kibble: do you have a floor you can scatter the food around on without worrying about 'kibble-dust'? Another thing I have done is to put half in the bowl and soak it and the other half on the floor (slightly scattered) nearby. I have read suggestions of scattering food in the yard, it gives them some work to do kind of like hunting for their food... but never tried it.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If you don't want to buy a new bowl or are not comfortable with plastic bowls, the easiest fix is to do away with the food bowl.

Instead of putting the food into a bowl, spread the kibble out on a cookie sheet or similar large, flat pan. He won't be able to grab a whole mouthful and hork it down if he has to pick it up from a flat, large surface.

·
Registered
98 Posts
First a little pet peeve... Plastic is everywhere, and granted it might not be the BEST thing in the world, but if you use Tupperware or anything similar to store YOUR food leftovers in, it's probably OK for your dog to eat out of plastic as well. Rant over. Moving on...

I also have a dog who likes to eat Hoover-style. Her entire meal would literally be gone in under 30 seconds. Then I got her the Brake-Fast (the one in the video on pg 1). It is absolutely wonderful. She's been using it for almost 2 years now and has figured out a method of working around the pegs pretty quickly but it definitely slows her down quite a bit!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I put water in the kibble, but do not let it soak, so the bits are floating around in the water. It takes more time for them to snag them, sort of like bobbing for apples. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I use the Brake-Fast bowl because Dodger would wolf down his food. So far it's worked with slowing him down and he's now eating at a semi slow pace.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I broke my beagle of this by waiting until i saw him laying there calmly to feed him, when you feed them excited it stimulates the excitement and hes actually being rewarded in his eyes for being hyper and worked up. Change up the times that you feed him so that you capture the calm.

I watched this video and it helped me tremendously!

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is one problem I can safely say Miikka does not have! She is a very slow eater....almost methodical about it.

I would agree with the other posters, though. Get one of the bowls that will slow him down. Tennis balls are supposed to work too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is one problem I can safely say Miikka does not have! She is a very slow eater....almost methodical about it.

I would agree with the other posters, though. Get one of the bowls that will slow him down. Tennis balls are supposed to work too.

isnt it great when you go from having a dog that is insane with his food to one that is calm about being fed!?

very lucky

·
Registered
313 Posts
The thing I have learned with my pup if he gets going fast is I interrupt his eating to come to me a couple of times and this has slowed down his high speed eating or drinking.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Tanner would suck down his food super fast, and I was getting worried about him, so we taught him how to slow down. First we taught him how to take a treat "easy". Then when he would eat, I'd tell him "easy".

If he starts inhaling the food instead of chewing it, I pick up his bowl, and we try it again. I need to hear distinctive crunching to know he's really chewing it.

I've been doing this for several months, and now I rarely have to pick up his bowl because he makes himself slow down.

A little self-control on Tanner's part isn't too much to ask. :)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Feed him in a big muffin pan. The more "muffin holes" the better! Just a couple pieces of kibble in each depression.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts