German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some help with me 3 month old GSD male. His biting can get very bad, especially when he goes through a hyper episode. I’ve tried yelling ouch and walking away but he just follows while biting my ankles. I’ve tried saying no calmly and putting him in his crate. I’ve tried distracting him with a toy. Nothing seems to really work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Next to nothing can stop a young GSD's urge to bite stuff...they don't have hands to explore with, they use their mouth! And you'll be amazed in a couple months at how fast the actually loose their puppy teeth and grow the adult teeth...thank GOD it's more gradual for human kids or we'd never be able to console them LOL! For now your best bet is to redirect your puppy's biting to a toy or even an old rag or t-shirt. Make it animated and more interesting than anything else he's ever seen! It'll all be over in a couple of months...in the meantime, redirect, and keep stocked up on bandaids and paper towels >:)

PS: my puppy loved to play with plastic milk or other beverage containers, and I kept the house littered with them when she was young to give her lots of potential targets other than myself.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
PS: my puppy loved to play with plastic milk or other beverage containers, and I kept the house littered with them when she was young to give her lots of potential targets other than myself.
no need to go buy expensive toys. Mine also liked destroying old rinsed milk jugs. We seldom had plastic water bottles but many people like those for a day's play. Plastic juice bottles are nice and thick and you can put kibble in them. Leave the cap off and pup will knock it all over the house trying to get the yummies out of it.

I also let my pups tear up cardboard boxes. Just watch out for tape / staples.

·
Registered
864 Posts
no need to go buy expensive toys. Mine also liked destroying old rinsed milk jugs. We seldom had plastic water bottles but many people like those for a day's play. Plastic juice bottles are nice and thick and you can put kibble in them. Leave the cap off and pup will knock it all over the house trying to get the yummies out of it.

I also let my pups tear up cardboard boxes. Just watch out for tape / staples.
Yep, I've got hundreds of dollars worth of hand-me-down toys and mine likes to chew on an old shoe, cardboard boxes, newspapers, and ripped up rags.

Kingthegsd, I'm guessing this is your first puppy. He's a puppy! They bite. You have to work on this constantly. There is no instant fix for the biting. For every first time puppy owners out there, I repeat...THERE IS NO INSTANT FIX FOR THE BITING. If there was, most of us would probably enjoy the puppy stage much more. It's going to go on for weeks, if not months, at least through the teething stage. Some puppies learn faster, some don't. You just have to suck it up and keep doing the things you are doing like redirection and/or yelling "ow" (or whatever you say) and then walking away. Some people say stick your whole fist in its mouth or press down on its tongue or a whole bunch of other methods. There are tons of threads in this forum about biting. Do a search and read up on it. If that's not enough, Google it...even more there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts