German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Our lovely girl, Lily, who will be 12 in December is having a lot of stomach issues. She's on a strict diet of her dry food, pumpkin and about a 1/4 cup of bone broth. I'm trying to sort it out. The vet's not a great deal of help due to virus restrictions (I can't accompany her in during the visit). Thoughts on what to try next would be welcome!!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Can you elaborate on what her stomach issues are? Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea?
What brand of food are you feeding? Any other health issues you know of?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely, she eats Fromm Gold Coast weight management (grain free) dry food. We add about 3ish tablespoons of pumpkin to her food. Bone broth afterward (1/4-1/2 cup) which helps with joint issues. That's it. She has very loose stools and for the past couple nights has been in and out several times through the night. We do have currently an influx of rabbits. She may be consuming their droppings. It's hard to tell. I go out at night with her and watch her. She seems to be looking for grass, leaves, etc to calm her stomach.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Our GSD girl will be 14 in a few weeks!

Her gut seems to be slowing down at times too causing issues.

First I'd take a stool sample into the vet to makes sure she hasn't picked up any parasites.

Since she is seeking out grass and such, I would suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut it is very important to keep it healthy.
Here are a few:
Digest All Plus: Digest-All Plus

Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae

Mercola Digestive/Probiotic: Whole Food Digestive Probiotic for Pets (94g per Container): 1 Container - Mercola eCommerce

Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm

If it's a diarrhea problem, you could try some Slippery Elm (about an hour before feeding) or Psyllium Seed added to her meals.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Agree with Moms. You should be able to drop off a fecal with the vet for testing without having to take your dog in just to get things started on the diagnostics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks! I will look into those. She's due for a check up next week and a fecal test is routine. I decided to feed her chicken (boiled) and rice for a few days. This is day two. So far I'm seeing a lot of improvement. I truly appreciate all your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts