German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted here but this is the best place I could think of for dog advice.

My GSD started refusing food and vomiting on 4/10. Took her to the vet on 4/11, who hospitalized her, did xrays/barium swallow. No blockage, no fever, no dehydration. Xrays showed a lot of gas in the stomach. She is now on Pepcid and Biomox. It is now 4/15 and she is still acting relatively lethargic and is only eating small portions of food at a time. She is not vomiting anymore, though. She refused her normal food, but will eat things like boiled rice and chicken, and small pieces of bread (it's how I give her the giant Biomox pill). I also bought her a good-quality limited ingredient dry food and she is eating bits of that mixed in as well. It's suspicious (imo) that she won't eat her normal food, but my two other dogs are eating that food with no issues.

My question is, how long is it normal for this to go on? I'm going to assume that she ate something either toxic, or something that caused a bacterial infection, because I have two other dogs and they have shown zero symptoms... so nothing viral. She's current on all vaccines. I'm totally baffled as to what she could have eaten, though. She doesn't have access to any trash, chemicals, etc. The only thing I can think of is maybe a mushroom in the yard? She really isn't the type to eat random stuff, though... that's more my Lab's style. :rolleyes:

I'm calling the vet tomorrow (Monday) to request bloodwork. I'm also thinking of taking her to our local animal hospital if her normal vet isn't any help.

Has anyone had any similar experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,698 Posts
When a dog refuses food that long, I believe them. When a dog eats a L-I food, refusing the regular food, I am deeply suspicious of the regular food. My food allergy dog refused his old kibble when the allergy manifested, because he knew it was making him sick. He would rather starve than eat that stuff because it caused so much internal distress. He will drop 10% or more of his own body weight when this stuff happens. My other dogs do fine on that same kibble!

I would keep on the L-I food for 6-8 weeks, and stop feeding anything that's not the same protein profile (e.g., no more boiled chicken if you have a fish/sweet potato food, but you can bake some fish filets instead). It takes that long to unwind a food allergy and do an elimination trial.

Alternatively, I would ask the vet for an internal medicine specialist referral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Magwart, thank you very much for your reply. I was suspicious that it might be a food intolerance but I didn't know if it was normal for one to cause such acute symptoms, especially in the middle of a bag of food.

The LI food I had picked up was turkey but contains chicken fat. (Her old food was chicken-based.) I would like to switch to a salmon and sweet potato food - the store just happened to be out of stock of that when I went. Do you think it's better to mix the LI turkey/chicken fat food in with the LI salmon food for a week or so to switch her over, or should I just feed the salmon food when it arrives?

I will definitely ask my vet for a referral if I don't see an improvement over the next several days. Thanks again for your reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
I would check for Lepto. My Dutch Shepherd was lethargic, super unusual for her, occasionally vomiting what little food she took in. Had she not developed super thirst, unusual for this girl, I would have not done by research while waiting to get to the vet's the next day. I figured Diabetic or Lepto. I had to demand the blood test and drove it to the university lab myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,698 Posts
Dogbyte, did your dog have a fever? I've always heard a fever is one of the things that puts lepto on list of concerns, but maybe not always?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just an update, she started refusing her new LI food, so I took her in for bloodwork. All tests (chem 17, t4, procyte cbc, pancreatitis) came back normal. Still no fever, no vomiting since that first day, and she is pooping normally. They hospitalized her briefly and offered her food and she ate fine. I asked what they fed her, they said EN, so I bought a couple cans of that. Offered her that at home, and she licked at it once then ignored it. (I even tried a different bowl, thinking maybe she had a bad association with her normal food dish.) I normally feed 3x a day to minimize bloat risk, and she's been skipping 2 out of 3, so I've been offering her small amounts of food every few hours. At this point I think I'm trying too hard and she'll eat when she feels like it. It's just so weird, she is NOT a picky eater normally. Plus it's making it hard to give her her meds if she's only eating a small amount once a day.

I'll go ahead and ask for the internist referral if this lasts a few more days.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top