German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

A friend of mine just had his 8 month female GSD spayed last week. He was telling me that his vet "tacked" her stomach so she could never get bloat. I guess they take the lining of the stomach and tack it to the abdominal wall so it can never flip. I've never heard of this and find it very odd! I also think it is weird that they did it on an 8 month old puppy who is still growing. My vet has never mentioned anything like this to me, this is the first time I have ever heard of this and I don't think it sounds right...what are your opinions on this, anyone ever heard of doing this?

·
Registered
394 Posts
It has become very popular now due to the tendency of bloat in GSD or any deep chested dogs but i'm not sure, like you said, that it would be wise to do on a puppy that is still growing. However, I have heard of the proceedure being done as the dog is getting neutered/spayed. Although it might help, a dog can still bloat even with the stomach tackled; just won't twist.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info thanks! Does anyone on here have it done to their dogs?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I would never do it unless my dog came from a line of dogs with bloat problems or I had had a previous dog with bloat and was just plain terrified of going through that again.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Yes, all 3 of my dogs have their stomachs tacked down.
Kaiser bloated and had his tacked down in the emergency room and then we had both girls stomachs tacked down as a precautionary measure even though none of my dogs are related.

"When the dogs have dental or veterinary appointments, the handlers are there right alongside their dogs. The U.S. Army Europe Military Working Dog Program is in the process of making sure all dogs have a gastropexy operation, a surgical procedure performed on large-breed dogs to prevent bloat, a life-threatening condition in which the stomach flips over and expands, trapping air and gases in the stomach."

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=51700

http://www.dfwvetsurgeons.com/t-gastropexy.html

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Did the vet inform your friend that he was going to do this, or did he go ahead and do it? From the way it's worded, it sounded like the vet went ahead and did it and the dog's owner was made aware after the fact.

Seems unlikely, but if that's what happened, I'd be furious if a vet took it upon him/herself to do something like that without my say-so.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
My vet cardiologist friend pexied his Lab as a fairly young dog. My vet pexied his two GSDs when around a year old. My friend had a dog and when the sibling torsioned by 2 years of age, she pexied her dog.

I will get Hogan pexied soon, he is 1.5. After having had two dogs torsion, I think gastropexy is a good idea. A vet experienced with the procedure is best so as to get a a high chance of working.

It can be done after a bloat/torsion event, but they do not always survive those happenings. It is also much less risky to do surgery on a healthy dog than on one compromised.

If my vet went ahead and threw in a pexy, I would be okay with that! Now if he threw in a neutering... not so happy!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did the vet inform your friend that he was going to do this, or did he go ahead and do it? From the way it's worded, it sounded like the vet went ahead and did it and the dog's owner was made aware after the fact.

Seems unlikely, but if that's what happened, I'd be furious if a vet took it upon him/herself to do something like that without my say-so.
No, my friend, Jason, told the vet to go ahead and do it. I agree, I would have been furious myself if they just did it without asking! Glad I asked about this, it sounds like a good idea and I'll have to consider it whenever I neuter Brody. The good thing is, I'm working at a vet now so they won't charge me full price ;)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I just had my female done last Monday. I have gone through bloat & torsion once and almost lost my dog. I never want to have to go through it again. Once I pay for hers, I will be doing my male.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhh thats alot of money!! Hmmm...when I start working at the vet in January, hopefully we will get a nice chunk off!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts