German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, some of you were very helpful in my sick puppy episode not that long ago...so now, another related issue. In a nutshell, after our pup was sick, we got her eating (ground beef and white rice and then chicken and white rice with some pumpkin, yogurt and started adding Purina FortiFlora. All was good. She was gaining weight and poops were solid. As soon as we started introducing kibble (Diamond Naturals LBP Lamb and Rice) her poops started getting soft. Totally expected. But then they went from soft to pure diarrhea. And this was with a small handful of kibble. Tried this routine twice just in case her digestive system was still on the mend. So, now I'm thinking it's the kibble or maybe the lamb in it. Every time we go back to chicken and rice, her poop gets solid almost instantly. So, my next step is to try another kibble. As much as I hate to do it, we're going to try Hill's Science Diet LBP. Anyone been through a similar scenario with good results from a certain food? And yes, she's had fecal labs done. She has tons of energy and everything else looks good except for the diarrhea. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take her back to the vet. Was she tested for SIBO?
Not that I know of. My thought process right now is yeah, I can take her back to the vet, drop another 500 bucks getting more tests done that could end up showing nothing. Or, maybe it's as simple as a sensitive stomach and I just have to find the right food. How can you explain the fact that chicken and rice causes zero GI distress? It just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Go with what you see. Some dogs just can’t handle kibble. I would look into some other kind of diet for this dog.

I ended up feeding Hans a diet of boiled beef, canned pumpkin mixed with bonemeal and a tiny bit of sardine, and all his problems went away.

·
Registered
31,129 Posts
I don't know. I"m not a vet. It could bet he other ingredients firming up her stool. the pumpkin, probiotics you are adding or you could have more rice in the home cooked than in the kibble.

Good luck. Hope she's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know. I"m not a vet. It could bet he other ingredients firming up her stool. the pumpkin, probiotics you are adding or you could have more rice in the home cooked than in the kibble.

Good luck. Hope she's feeling better soon.
Thanks. If we don't resolve this soon, then I know we're in for some testing. Other than the diarrhea she's doing great!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go with what you see. Some dogs just can’t handle kibble. I would look into some other kind of diet for this dog.

I ended up feeding Hans a diet of boiled beef, canned pumpkin mixed with bonemeal and a tiny bit of sardine, and all his problems went away.
I'm hoping a different kibble will work but we'll be prepared to go another route.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I'd try The Honest Kitchen 100% Human Ingredients Dehydrated Food.

The foods that THK makes has helped many dogs with stomach issues.

Chicken With Grain: Dehydrated - Whole Grain Chicken Recipe (Revel)
Beef Without Grain: Dehydrated - Grain Free Beef Recipe (Love)

More expensive than kibble but well worth it!
10# box re-hydrates to around 30 lbs. of food but you feed more of this than extruded kibble as it is REAL food that has been dehydrated.

I use more water than the directions call for.

Best of luck,
Moms :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd try The Honest Kitchen 100% Human Ingredients Dehydrated Food.

The foods that THK makes has helped many dogs with stomach issues.

Chicken With Grain: Dehydrated - Whole Grain Chicken Recipe (Revel)
Beef Without Grain: Dehydrated - Grain Free Beef Recipe (Love)

More expensive than kibble but well worth it!
10# box re-hydrates to around 30 lbs. of food but you feed more of this than extruded kibble as it is REAL food that has been dehydrated.

I use more water than the directions call for.

Best of luck,
Moms :)
Thanks. I briefly looked into this and then saw the price! :eek: But, it might have to be an option at least until I can get her GI system stable and healthy. Thank you for the links!

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ok, some of you were very helpful in my sick puppy episode not that long ago...so now, another related issue. In a nutshell, after our pup was sick, we got her eating (ground beef and white rice and then chicken and white rice with some pumpkin, yogurt and started adding Purina FortiFlora. All was good. She was gaining weight and poops were solid. As soon as we started introducing kibble (Diamond Naturals LBP Lamb and Rice) her poops started getting soft. Totally expected. But then they went from soft to pure diarrhea. And this was with a small handful of kibble. Tried this routine twice just in case her digestive system was still on the mend. So, now I'm thinking it's the kibble or maybe the lamb in it. Every time we go back to chicken and rice, her poop gets solid almost instantly. So, my next step is to try another kibble. As much as I hate to do it, we're going to try Hill's Science Diet LBP. Anyone been through a similar scenario with good results from a certain food? And yes, she's had fecal labs done. She has tons of energy and everything else looks good except for the diarrhea. Thanks!
Wow. I'ts happening again. I'm sorry to hear that. Is it possible to just stick to the diet you've been giving her for now until she gets older?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. I'ts happening again. I'm sorry to hear that. Is it possible to just stick to the diet you've been giving her for now until she gets older?
Thanks Kathryn. It's weird because it's only diarrhea. No lethargy, no lack of appetite or thirst. She acts perfectly healthy other than that. Feeding her just chicken and rice would not be in her best interest since it's missing a lot of other things she needs, especially as a puppy. So, I've got to find something.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That diet is not nutritionally appropriate for a long period of time.
Yes. I didn't consider taht.
Thanks Kathryn. It's weird because it's only diarrhea. No lethargy, no lack of appetite or thirst. She acts perfectly healthy other than that. Feeding her just chicken and rice would not be in her best interest since it's missing a lot of other things she needs, especially as a puppy. So, I've got to find something.
Yes. You are right about that. Maybe she just can't handle the hard food? What about trying wet food, like the stuff in the cans, and incorporating it into the food she's getting now? We give kias Purina pro plan wet food, and there's tons of different kinds you can try. Just an idea, but I am completely naive about raw feeding, cooked food and things like that so I probably sound so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. I didn't consider taht.

Yes. You are right about that. Maybe she just can't handle the hard food? What about trying wet food, like the stuff in the cans, and incorporating it into the food she's getting now? We give kias Purina pro plan wet food, and there's tons of different kinds you can try. Just an idea, but I am completely naive about raw feeding, cooked food and things like that so I probably sound so.
Don't remember if I mentioned it in the original post or not, but the vet gave us some Hill's prescription diet i/d canned food. We initially used that along with the chicken and rice and she had no issues with it whatsoever. Good solid stools. At this point, it could be anything to do with hard kibble so you could be right!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, just placed an order for THK. Small box but should be enough to see how she takes it. Think I'll go with it before I try the Hill's.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, hope she gets better. You probably did mention it and I didn't bother to check the post like the careless person I am. Anyway, hope the stuff you got works.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, hope she gets better. You probably did mention it and I didn't bother to check the post like the careless person I am. Anyway, hope the stuff you got works.
Thank you. Seen all kinds of issues with dogs over the years but never had a problem with a pup like this before.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Ok, just placed an order for THK. Small box but should be enough to see how she takes it. Think I'll go with it before I try the Hill's.
Just so you won't be worried, note that THK usually makes the dog produce large stools! ;)
Fingers Crossed for good outcome with this food!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts