German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such thing as a stomach acid reducer for dogs?

My 13 month old GSD seems to have chronic acid reflux. When he was 3 months old I took him to the vet for vomiting yellow bile and she said it was just a build up of bile in the stomach and I should feed him 4 meals a day, spaced out as evenly as possible. I did that for a while and it seemed to put a stop to the vomiting, but I was never sure because his crate pad sometimes seemed to have wet spots on it in the morning though I couldn't tell from what.

I eventually cut back to two meals a day as it's hard to keep up four feeding times, but over the past month he's been reluctant to eat and when I let him go without eating - thinking he'd get hungry and eat - he vomits yellow bile after 12 hours. Then it's even harder to get him to eat because he feels bad.

Now, he eats most of his breakfast in the morning at 8 am and then I give him the leftovers around noon. Then he eats most of his dinner around 7 pm and I give him the leftovers at 9 pm. I've also started putting FortiFlora probiotics on his food at night which the vet recommended previously and haven't seen much difference yet. Sometimes he eats enthusiastically, but other times I have to make a game out of it to get him to even consider eating out of my hand.

He's a bit underweight and I'd like to get him back up to where he was before this all started. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can you give dogs acid reducer meant for people?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
You can try famotidine. It helps mine when he gets a sour stomach.

You might want to ask your vet about sucralfate too.

This is a young dog though with a chronic problem? You might want to try some different foods and see if something agrees with him better?

My 4 y/o is sensitive and if he gets a sour stomach I'll give him famotidine, or if he gets out of whack and has some pukin' poopin' sickness (which he does from time to time) he might get four days or so of sucralfate and some other stuff to settle him down and get him right again.

But he does not take anything regularly, long term. If he did I'd want to look further into it because he's an otherwise young healthy dog in the prime of his life

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Is there any way you can free feed him?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those suggestions. What's the dosage for famotidine? He was prescribed sucralfate a long time ago, but its long gone now.

He does have something going on with his stomach. The vet thinks its food allergies and prescribed Royal Canin HP and an elimination diet which we're still doing. When he started going off his food he was only getting the Royal Canin food, RedBarn beef treats, and bully sticks - all of which have become standard items in his diet.

I think I would like to try giving him an acid reducer for a few days to see if it helps his appetite and then getting him eating small meals again throughout the day. If it doesn't work, I do think a trip to the vet is in our future. I wouldn't want to give him anything long-term without consulting his vet.

As far as free-feeding goes, I have tried leaving his food in the ex-pen with him all day, but he just ignores it. I also give him a stuffed kong at night in his crate and sometimes he eats it and sometimes he doesn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts