German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most people in here only herd sheep or do they also herd ducks and/or cattle?

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
So far I have only worked my dogs on sheep. My guys need to learn some more self control before I would consider them working on cattle which could severely harm my dogs or ducks which could be severely harmed by my dogs.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Ohh I doubt I would ever work with cattle or ducks by personal choice. I would consider goats though. Sheep are the "stock" that Shepherds were bred to herd so that will be our main focus.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I would consider goats. Cattle are too big for ME and I am afraid Gracie would try to eat the ducks. Have you gone to Chris Davies' place, Fly Away Aussies? She just over the DE border in New London PA.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i have been to Chris Davies. She is not that far from me. She has some nice sheep. I would do goats if they were de-horned. I heard that they trial with goats in FL with horns. Ducks and cattle work differently then sheep as they do not run/escape as quickly. Ducks and cattle work a lot a like.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Ducks and cattle don't fetch to the handler the same way that sheep do. The handler generally has to stand off to the side somewhat. The ducks easily feel trapped, and the cattle will run you over. Goats can be very hard to work. They don't flock like the sheep, and they tend tobe harder for the dogs to control.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Roxi has her titles in AHBA and AKC sheep and ducks. We tried cattle once but after a steer rolled her, I decided it was not worth the chance she getting hurt. We did finish the leg as she got right back up and went after that steer.

She is a gentle girl with a soft step. Something as simple as stepping on a duck can kill it. Indian runners are the best as they flock nicely and move upright vs. most other ducks, which waddle. You nor your dog can crowd ducks as they will split and take off. When gathering a split you need to gather the many to the few as opposed to sheep who want to hang out together.

When we started on sheep, many years ago after we stopped flossing the woolies, we used Katahdins and moved on to Barbados. Katahdins are heavier slower moving compared to Barbados.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I will stick with sheep!
I would never put Tooz on cattle because I would be paranoid she would get hurt. It's just not worth the risk for me.
And, I would never put her on ducks because I know what she could do to them. Tooz has caught a few wild Canada geese!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I herd sheep, ducks (call ducks) and cattle. I train in DE and PA and trial in DE, PA and NJ. Timber has his started titles on ducks and sheep with an intermediate leg in both. He will be going for his started cattle in Oct. Zada has been on ducks a few times and is doing great.
Good luck with everyone's training.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Are you entered in the Burlington Kennel Club trial 9/27 and 28?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i am, i'm only doing ducks that weekend. I pulled him from sheep since he won't be ready. He'll go back on sheep in Oct in PA.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Cool! We're doing our PT. I look forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great, I'll look for you

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
HI Michael! How did you do?!!!! I have to say, Zada is absolutely adorable!!
I miss that size and age. It was good to meet you. See you again tomorrow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jen, It was nice to meet you yesterday at the trial. Your dog put in two nice PT runs. Was that her title or did she have it already? Hopefully Zada will do her HT there next year and get her PT done also. Timber qualified both days on Intermidiate Ducks to give him his intermidiate duck title. He is entered in Intermidiate Sheep and Started Cattle at the end of October in Birdsboro, PA. It is a 3 day trial and it would be nice to finish both titles. He has one leg in Intermidiate Sheep and will be his first try on Started Cattle.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't get to see Zada today. The weather was not cooperative. We're having thunderstorms now. I sent you a PM.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
tilden is still a beginner, so he's been working sheep. he's gentle enough now for ducks, but not nearly controlled enough in my opinion so why rush? the stable where i ride, will let me work him on steer once he's a little more advanced, but the location where he trains just has sheep & ducks, so i'll have to be really confident before trying. they have an ACD that is quite the pro, may let tilden run along side him for experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dogs work each stock differently. Dogs may be aggressive on sheep but may be more laid back on ducks and cattle. Just take you time with Tildon and he will do great. I am lucky that I have two -three places to train and I have great trainers. People have to remember that German Shepherds are the hardest dogs to train.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts