German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Layla's stomach still isn't healed from her spay on April 4th!! I'm attaching a picture of it, should I leave it alone and see if it gets better or should I take her back to the vet?

I am just ready for this to heal, if I'm just leaving it can anyone recommend something I can do to help it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
What has the vet said? I have ideas but would like to know that a vet jag looked at it and doesn't see any necrotic tissue or ongoing infection (like raging infection)..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We went to the vet about 3 weeks ago and he said to keep an eye on it for if it gets more irritated looking. Which it doesn't look anymore irritated but it just isn't healing.

·
Banned
56 Posts
If there has been no signs of healing and there is still any redness, and or swelling you can see or you have noticed despite it being more than a week, than you should be taking her to the vet. Drainage and fever are other signs to look out for.

Personally what I would do is take my dog to another vet and get a second opinion on it, another thing you can do is call any veterinarian office, by doing this, you can ask them if this is completely normal and if your dog should be brought in, they can give you loads of information, not only that, it's free, and saves you lots of time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there has been no signs of healing and there is still any redness, and or swelling you can see or you have noticed despite it being more than a week, than you should be taking her to the vet. Drainage and fever are other signs to look out for.

Personally what I would do is take my dog to another vet and get a second opinion on it, another thing you can do is call any veterinarian office, by doing this, you can ask them if this is completely normal and if your dog should be brought in, they can give you loads of information, not only that, it's free, and saves you lots of time.
It has healed some, just not a lot. She had a huge knot under the suture line (not herniated) which has almost completely disappeared and when I took her in last month it was oozing green which it has quit.

but it has been 2 months and this still isn't behind us.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Vetricin is a great healing spray that can be used... If you want to go with a more natural (although Vetricin is pretty freaking awesome) I would use lavender oil and helichrysum and frankincense (for cell growth) with a base oil.. They will fight infection and inflammation and are safe for dogs... But again, watch the dog as some sort of underlying problem exists... It could be an easy fix and her body just needs a bump to get over a low grade infection, but then again...

·
Banned
56 Posts
It has healed some, just not a lot. She had a huge knot under the suture line (not herniated) which has almost completely disappeared and when I took her in last month it was oozing green which it has quit.

but it has been 2 months and this still isn't behind us.
I'd call another vet, see what they say over the phone, and take them to that new vet and see what's going on for a second opinion. I've heard people waiting 3 months for it to heal because the process took long for their dog.

Was that green ooze, like pus? Was their an odor, or a discharge with an odor?

The rule is; It should be improving with time. What I recommend is taking your phone and taking photos of the sight, and everyday comparing those photos, give it at least a week of taking photos, keep doing this, if there has been no improvements, and or it's been looking worse, than there is something very wrong.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vetricin is a great healing spray that can be used... If you want to go with a more natural (although Vetricin is pretty freaking awesome) I would use lavender oil and helichrysum and frankincense (for cell growth) with a base oil.. They will fight infection and inflammation and are safe for dogs... But again, watch the dog as some sort of underlying problem exists... It could be an easy fix and her body just needs a bump to get over a low grade infection, but then again...
Where do you get that?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Where do I get what? The information? From personal use, research, experience and finally, you can look up the information on the internet (not being said in a jerky way)... I'm speaking from personal experience, but that is with my dogs and horses (and personal use, except the vetricin which I would not use on a human)... Is that what the question was? Not really sure what it was referring to

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I meant where do you buy the vet.... (I'm on my phone currently out searching local stores for it so I can't look up the spelling)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Vetricyn, my bad for the typo... Should be able to buy it at a Petsmart, Walmart (most), Petco or animal type store....

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
That does not look right..I would be back at the vets..I once had a female who's incision just wouldn't heal, she was having a reaction to the "gut " stitch and had to be opened back up...I would be at the vets with this..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We went back, he just said to keep an eye on it... He said the muscle wall is holding up fine it's just taking a while.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts