German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so Ms. Xena is almost 9 months old and she is still nippy and mouthy at times. It's mostly when I'm attaching her leash, unhooking her from her tie out or putting on her prong collar. I will talk to the trainer this Saturday when we go back but any ideas until then? It's worse in a way when I go to unhook her from the tie out. She's jumping and mouthy. I try putting her into a SIT and she does but then she jumps and starts mouthy/biting when I go to unhook her. She's not breaking the skin and I don't want her doing this. She had almost quit and now is doing it again.

Suggestions? I know I'm doing something wrong and I don't want her to turn aggressive.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
She's still young and may be excited by the procedures. I have the command "Remove." My GSD knows we are not playing and that I am going to do something at his neck. It could be to take something off, exchange collars, etc. It is short in duration and he knows what's "going on." He knows he has to hold still. He might be standing, sitting, or laying down. The command "Remove" includes holding still and me messing with something on him. He knows it's short in duration so he has learned to be very cooperative.

She needs boundaries about being mouthy. It's not aggression so much as lack of respect. She may be confused about what you want. My dog knows, "knock it off" spoken with authority.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My pup was really mouthy and I've never had a dog before so it has taken me a long time to figure it out. It went past 8 months for me. For excitement what I do for example I get home from work he has to sit nicely or he gets no attention he mouths the attention stops he learned quickly. Sometimes he will grab a toy do a few laps then come see me. For my kids when he is excited to see them he has to down he gets mouthy the attention stops. He got it fast. Sometimes for them too he will grab a toy do a few laps first. I don't speak at all taught the kids not to speak. If you have your dog Sit then he/she breaks and/or mouths you immediately stop wait reset. Say nothing the dog only gets what they want when the energy they exhibit is what you want. Hopefully that makes sense. Once i taught sitting at doors I stopped the lure, then stopped asking and waited for the dog to think about what he needed to do before we go out the door. Takes patience.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
At 9 months if you puppy is still jumping on you and being mouthy it's on you. Teach her that this kind of behavior doesn't get what she wants! Give her an alternative behavior that you want. For example, you have her sit, but then continue even though she breaks the sit and starts jumping and mouthing you...don't do that. Step back and make her sit again until you are done, then praise and treat her for being so good! As previously mentioned, it takes patience and consistency. But it IS time to teach her that she needs to behave! Not enforcing these kinds of boundaries for your dog is actually a good way to teach her to be aggressive with you because she learns that she can get away with it. Consistently enforce your rule, not sitting and mouthing you results in waiting longer to be released. Sitting nicely gets praise and treats and play time!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updates:::::

Well it's getting better. I am making her either sit or go to down and tell her "Remove". My trainer also said to make sure I have a hold of the tie out first. We are getting there. She's not jumping as much; the knee up she doesn't like. I just want to say that without this forum I'd be lost; from your advice to get a trainer and not send her to training to the other tips and support I've gotten me and Xena would be in big trouble without you all.

I do think part of my issue is too the prong collar; I have a hard time pressing the prongs apart to take the collar off. I've had capral tunnel surgery on both hands. I think she gets frustrated because it takes too long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts