German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have extended mouthing even after teething ended?

Mine is 6 months, lost all his teeth. Some are still coming in, so I'm assuming that means hes still teething right?

Has anyone had an experience with a puppy that continued to play bite after teething? Lex just gets in his moods where hes barking, jumping up and down pounce like. The only way to stop him is to put him in his crate or submit him via holding him down and his mouth closed.

The normal mouthing can easily be swayed by ignoring or giving him a toy but when hes full blown, none of that works.

But my main question is the biting past teething stage.

Mods, hope this is okay for a new thread rather then my old one.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I think for some dogs it does take longer to stop mouthing. I got my girl when she was about a year old, and had absolutely NO training and I think was kept outside. At a year old she was mouthing EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME!!! She still had a puppy mentality, probably lack of development from being isolated.

It took me SIX MONTHS to break her of this habit, just consistantly, gently, pushing her mouth away and telling her no, no, no, no, a zillion times a day. I know that for your puppy redirection and time-outs int he crate work better, so keep up with that, but just wantd to let you know that there was at least one adult dog out there that used to be a persistant mouther, but did stop after six months of constant (gentle) corrections.

I'm sure another six months of puppy mouthing is not what you were hoping for, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I hold his mouth shut gently after he bites me. Tell him "settle or quiet" whatever command word I pick, then give him a treat. Will that help towards the ultimate goal or do you think he will bite me in order to get that treat?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
As much as possible, try to figure out how the dog sees (will see) each of these exchanges.

Is it: "If I bite him, it will start a game that gets me a treat...I bite, he holds my mouth and says something, then I get a treat!"

or does he think he is doing something to "earn" the treat?

I think treats should be earned by the dog for MAKING THE CHOICE to do something.

If he gets wound up and starts this biting thing, how about asking for a sit or down? Then he's done something that can earn a treat (and he can't bite you if he's in a sit/down)

·
Registered
271 Posts
My husband has this problem with Shadow when they play. Shadow is now nearly 8 months old and will not bite me but will bite my husband when they play. His solution was to give Shadow a tennis ball sized ball to hold in his mouth while they play, making getting the ball away from him and throwing it for the dog to retrieve part of their game. It works so well that now when my husband initiates play with him, Shadow goes to grab a ball right off. Maybe not the most elegant solution but it works for them. I used a combination of "no bite," redirection and ignoring with him when he was younger and have no problem with that now. Keep trying, he'll eventually get it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
beamer still mouths sometimes. we just close her mouth like you said you do but she doesnt get a treat, because then its considered cheering her on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts