German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have been thinking so much about my beautiful Ilsa, my adolescent shepherd girl that I returned to her breeder. I wondered WHY I have been thinking about her so much, and I realized it has been a whole year since she left my home! :( I went back and read through my posts about her scary aggression toward my small dogs - it really struck me how great you folks are on this forum! You gave me good advice and suggestions, and you all supported me in my difficult decision to return her to her breeder. I really appreciate that!:hug: I still miss her. I realized, with your help, that I had gotten in over my head with too many females in my pack, among other things.

As it turned out, not long after I returned Ilsa, my husband had a stroke (he has had several smaller ones), which changed my situation a lot. So, for now, I am taking care of things- we have only the four dogs now, a 15 1/5 year old pug, and three Frenchies, 10, 10, and 8. The one 10 year old Frenchie is having health issues, and I may have to have him put to sleep ( :( ), and my 15 1/2 year old pug is frail. So eventually, I will be just having the two Frenchies, 10 and 8.

I guess things happen for a reason, in retrospect. I WILL have another GSD in the future, perhaps when I am down to just one Frenchie. I have a wonderful breeder already picked out. I have decided that I will limit myself to just a couple of dogs now that my husband is not 100%, and we are recently retired. We have just moved to Costa Rica with the four dogs, and are loving Costa Rica! Plus, I now get to spend 24/7 with my dogs!

Thanks again, everyone, for your support and wise words of advice! :wub:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a post-note, Ilsa's breeder placed her in the home of a veterinary student, who is thrilled with her - Ilsa is livin' the life! :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
As heart-breaking as it was, sometimes when it doesn't work out, you should return a dog to the breeder or rescue group.

I believe the dog's well-being comes first and human needs are secondary.

At some point, a GSD may again be in your future.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Don't know much about the original situation but my knee jerk reaction is....you are a conscientious person with your heart in the proper place...and the greater good was served.

SuperG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts